Hot Hot Is Too Hot...

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I was fiddling (technical term) with the grease caps on my lathe. These are the ones on the ends of the shaft holding the intermediate pulleys. I notice that I am constantly slinging black grease, and as I worked with them trying to see why, I found that one of the bearings is getting hot to the touch, even on low speed. On high speed within a minute or two it is uncomfortable to touch.

I need to tear it down. When I brought the lathe back into service I did a complete cleanup of these, and noticed no significant issues except poor condition of the felt endcaps. If these felts are hardened with gunk, will it let so much grease escape that the bearings are not adequately lubricated?

So I was fiddling (technical term) with the grease caps on my lathe. These are the ones on the ends of the shaft holding the intermediate pulleys. I notice that I am constantly slinging black grease, and as I worked with them trying to see why, I found that one of the bearings is getting hot to the touch, even on low speed. On high speed within a minute or two it is uncomfortable to touch.

I need to tear it down. When I brought the lathe back into service I did a complete cleanup of these, and noticed no significant issues except poor condition of the felt endcaps. If these felts are hardened with gunk, will it let so much grease escape that the bearings are not adequately lubricated?
It sounds like a galled shaft or bearing journal. Pulleys operate with a very high radial load so any friction will cause heating. It is probably throwing grease because of the temperature rise more than a poor seal. When you pull it apart again, you should see the cause.

Might have the passage plugged up, but since the grease is coming out that is not likely. I would suspect that the grease is not getting into the bearing itself. Tear down required no matter. I made a tin cover that used a magnet to hold it in place and protect me from the spitting grease.
Pierre

I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic axle grease, BTW. It goes in red, comes out black. Not good for something supposed to survive extremely high temperatures.

I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic axle grease, BTW. It goes in red, comes out black. Not good for something supposed to survive extremely high temperatures.
If it is changing from red to black, the black is most likely metal.

One of the best things I did to my lathe was make new carriers and add sealed bearings.
Pretty easy job .
HWF

I'd like to see that. I was looking at bearings but ball bearings are probably too large in diameter and roller bearings would ride on the same shaft...not much real difference except sealed.

Back