Horton 3 Jaw Scroll Chuck Anatomy - And Electrolysis Success Story

Sweet, considering removing the rust is the hardest part using elbow grease. I'm sold!

Bear in mind, Bill, the electrolysis will not 'mend' the pits. My feed dials are hopelessly pitted. Unreadable. I'll need to recreate them.

I see your point, but at least the electrolysis will reveal the pitting a lot faster and easier than wire brushing, or sandblasting.

Bill,

Exactly. Electrolysis is 'fire and forget'. No man in the loop. I left that Horton chuck in the soup for a couple days. My sacrificial anode is a brake rotor - and is very crusty rusty. I could have sped up the process if I had a clean sacrificial.

Also had ice forming on the top of the electrolyte - perhaps a bit more efficient if the solution was warm!?

Ray

great job! I'm a big fan of electrolysis, I've been refurbishing an old lathe with it and it's been amazing. blows of all the rust old paint and gunk. all you have to do is wipe off the leftovers, dry it very well and paint or oil it immediately as it will flash rust instantly. i use a couple of pieces of rebar bent into u shapes and vigorously wire brush them each time i take something out of the bath

Carbon anodes don't crust up like steel ones do. There are sellers on eBay that have carbon pieces that are scraps from some other manufacturing process. They are cheap too. Then all the rust and crud just sinks to the bottom.

Awesome job refurbishing that 3 jaw chuck. Nothing short of amazing.

GG

The 4-jaw is just about done! Pictures to follow. More pitting in one particular place than the 3-jaw, but still a minor miracle.

This 4-jaw is a Horton as well. It's a beast...heavy. Too big for the Sheldon it came with. Will be fine for my South Bend 13".

Ray

Back