Horton 3 Jaw Scroll Chuck Anatomy - And Electrolysis Success Story

d4xycrq

Active User
Registered
Pictures worth a thousand words.... Electrolysis is a wonderful thing. I had no idea what the maker of this chuck is/was before electrolysis started - markings were buried under the rust.

Before:

HORTON%203%20JAW%20SCROLL_zpsqqaqssyg.jpg

By the way, very little mention of Horton chucks on the web, certainly not a lot of photos I could find. Here's that same one laid out in pieces - minus the rust.

HORTON%20CHUCK%20009_zpswbyqwhd2.jpg

HORTON%20CHUCK%20007_zpscyu7sss8.jpg

HORTON%20CHUCK%20005_zpsb6tlcy9w.jpg

HORTON%20CHUCK%20004_zpsyr7oauyd.jpg

This bad boy is next. No idea if this is a Horton or not.

Four%20Jaw%20Chuck_zpsyogfdlor.jpg

Ray

Matt, Jim; Chuck is back together. I measure a smidge more than .001 run out with a end mill chucked up.

Ray

Very nice. Isn't it amazing the stuff people throw out. Now if we could just manage to be in the right place at the right time more often.:) Mike

OK - I'm convinced.

I've got a chuck that I was just leaving in the garage and basically ignoring thinking maybe someday I'll go fidget with it to see if it can be recovered.

Now I'm going to have to go google up the recipe for this and give it a try.

Wow that's amazing! I've read on electrolysis before but never tried it. I definitely will after seeing this. I have a new to me freebie three jaw that needs this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is incredible, so that is how it came out of the solution, without any wire brushing? I have got to try this!

Bill,

No, comes out filthy, but all the rust is gone....up to you what you scrub the part with. Mean greenie, scrub brush, hot soapie water!

Ray

Back