Horizontal to vertical convertion

Drhender

Registered
Registered
IMG_3046.JPG IMG_3047.JPG IMG_3045.JPG A local guy is selling a horizontal Rouse milling machine for a low price. I am wondering if it would be tough to convert this little vintage into a horizontal machine. I am new to milling equipment, but I am mechanically adept and not afraid of getting my hands dirty. It seems like for the right price, this little rouse could be a good source of motor, bearings, table, etc.

Or would I be better off restoring the horizontal mill and learning the craft on this one for now and acquiring a vertical mill later?

Those little mills helped the USA win just about every war up to the CNC era. If the price is right and you have the room it's good for what it's made for. You may be able to hook up a vertical head , but I think your better off getting one all ready set up . As a vertical , the table is small and I think it's a hand lever feed , it may not even move in the y position. Keep your eye out for a small knee mill and you'll be happy with it.

Second on that - honestly it's a bit too small for a Bridgeport head or the like for conversion.

Lovely little machine, though, and if your needs are for slitting, grooving or setting up to make cogs or the like it would be lovely for that. I've recently bought a Barker for exactly that purpose - takes 3C collets and will be a great, rigid little mill for second operations when making runs of bits.

What's the asking on it? Does it work? This machine would have cool applications, but it is not a replacement for a more modern vertical mill with a big table and travel

Back