Horizontal Mill Cutters

HighWall

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been taking care of some machine tools gifted me by an elderly relative. One of the treasures I've discovered are a number of cutters for a horizontal milling machine I was not able to keep in my little shop. I have a 9x35 vertical mill and was wondering if there is a good use for these cutters in a vertical mill. After all, they are already paid for...

I expect that some kind of R8 arbor would be needed, but was wondering if there are any applications where these cutters would be a superior choice over more standard tooling for the vertical mill.

Speeds on the vertical mill are often too high, and rigidity too low, to use those cutters to good effect. Another idea might be to trade them to another member here so you can each have something you need or want...

I've been taking care of some machine tools gifted me by an elderly relative. One of the treasures I've discovered are a number of cutters for a horizontal milling machine I was not able to keep in my little shop. I have a 9x35 vertical mill and was wondering if there is a good use for these cutters in a vertical mill. After all, they are already paid for...

I expect that some kind of R8 arbor would be needed, but was wondering if there are any applications where these cutters would be a superior choice over more standard tooling for the vertical mill.
Pics?
As Bob said, but it would really depend on the size of the cutter. Smaller cutters require more speed, while bigger cutters really slow and more horsepower. I have seen verticals that have attachments to convert them to horizontal, but I suspect that is a compromise .

Personally I could see them being useful for cutting keyways in shafts. The shafts could be layed in a table slot and clamped from one side and the cutter run down the other side. Too many keyways cut on a vertical mill wander around due to the end mill pulling itself into the work....unless the user takes their time and does it in multiple passes.

Make sure your arbor is stout and short, as horizontal machines normally support those cutters on both sides.

Of course you don't give the size of the cutters or the stoutness of the milling machine....be wise about it.

-brino

Well, my relative had a lovely, fully restored Sheldon Model O with a ton of tooling. When the fellow who bought the mill took it away, we thought he had all the cutters, but now I found a couple cigar boxes full of them. I'll take some pix and post when I get back to my shop. My mill is a PM 935TV, which isn't exactly small for a home shop. I know they get quite a bit bigger... Mostly, I've been trying to master the Clausing 5914 that I WAS able to keep. What a sweet machine.

Make an arbor your mill should have no problem

Back