Horizontal Grinder

So the simple solution is require the motor for 220 and add a static converter to be up and running?

Good point Jason. One of the main reason I am on the fence with the grinder. Sometimes the short quick route can end up taking longer and involve more cash.

I think the static convetor will be fine. In fact, I have one on my lathe that is destined to be moved to the yet-to-be-wired surface grinder. Then, I'll put a VFD on the lathe, so I get variable speed. The grinder will be fine as a single speed.

It is very likely that the grinder motor is suited to dual voltage, but with the B&S grinder, the motor would be relatively easy to change out; I have owned two of them over the years; as to spindles, they have both plain bearing and ball bearing models; the ball bearing one would be easier to deal with. To tell whether or not it is a dual voltage motor, look at the number of leads coming out of the motor itself; if only three, it is single voltage, if (usually) nine it is dual voltage. The way the motor is buried in the base of the machine, it can be difficult to read the nameplate on the motor.

Back