Hopkins and Allen 932 32 rimfire

Here is a few pictures of the extractor-ejector. The thickness is .100, the pivot hole is .148 dia. and the bend IS shown in the pictures. THE SCALE OF PICTURES: THE DARKER LINES ARE .400 SQUARES. THE SMALLER SQUARES ARE .080

IMG_1092(1).JPGIMG_1093(1).JPG

You should be able to make this part from my info because each part needs to be fitted in your action and barrel. I lined my old barrel with the .312 dia liner from Brownell's. The chamber end of the barrel needed to have an insert made because the 32 Rim fire round was a little larger. This insert was about 2 inches long and drilled from the front end of the barrel with the liner drill to be inline. This liner insert section was silver soldered in place before drilling for the 22 LR liner. I left the extractor one the side like the original extractor for the 32 Rem fire. It would be better to make an extractor to fit in the bottom of the chamber like the original 22 LR's were make.
IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1092(1).JPG IMG_1093(1).JPG IMG_1121.JPG

Les,B
I just got one these rifles , its missing the extractor , this will help , going to try and make into a 32 long S&W changing the breach block to center fire should be that hard, but thanks to you i think i have a chance to make an extractor ,
thank you
NORM

forgot I had and H&A shot gun
I took the extractor out of the shotgun and its very close to the 32 cal extractor , so trace it on a piece of steel the cut it out , then fitted it to the gun ,
and it works , but I need a little thicker steel and it will be perfect

new ext 01 (2).jpg
NORM

the extractor is almost finished, when I get the chamber reamer I can finish it
extractor  a1.JPG extractor a2 .JPG

NORM

update on extractor with corrections
the extractor fits and works perfect ,
xtractor%20%20g%2003.jpg

the steel I used for the extractor with the right thickness
steel.jpg
NORM

xtractor%20%20g%2003.jpg

steel.jpg

The Hopkins and Allen 932. These are GREAT actions. I have been restoring little single shot rifles for a few years now. Started off with a junk Stevens Marksman Model 12 and now have a wonderful shooter. Now, my big interest is in the Hopkins and Allen single shots. Here are some observations from my experiences. I have restored eight of these to date and have three more waiting.

First off, the 922/932 are true Falling Block style rifles. These actions are quite beefy. The falling blocks from the 922/932 guns are interesting. I have found that one will not necessarily fit another one. Even though these were factory made guns, it is my observation that each block was fit to that gun. What is even more interesting is that the early ones were all serial numbered. I have a 922 that has the side extractor (early version). Every large piece on that gun has a serial number. The receiver, the breech block, the lever, and the barrel all match.

Converting a 932 to a 22LR is not hard. If you a lucky enough that the firing pin hits correctly, you are set. If not, you can actually just make a new link. (The part that attaches the lever to the breech clock.) Make it just a little longer and this will help with the firing pin hit location. This will raise the position of the breech clock. The 932 and the 922 used the same breech block with different links. You may also have to make a new firing pin. I had to on one that I converted. Was getting a light hit on the rim and the longer pin helped.

The DeHaas Book Single Shot Rifles and Actions discusses how to convert a 32RF to a 22RF. Good reading.

I have seen where people have converted these to 32 S&W. Now you have to take into consideration that a 32 S&W bullet is .004 smaller than a 32RF. There are molds out there that will pour 32 S&W. You will need to lap these to make the bullets a little bigger or you can powder coat/Hi-Tek coat these to get the proper diameter. Also, once these are loaded and shot in the gun you will have a more fire-formed case. You will then need to lap the reloading die for the larger case. (steel die not carbide) You will have to have a Hopkins and Allen breech block from a center-fire version. These can be found in one of their shotguns. Again, this breech block will have to be fit to the gun. Still the easiest way to do this is to make a link long enough to adjust the firing pin strike. These actions are more than enough to withstand the anemic 32 S&W. The extractor should work correctly.

These guns have dramatically raised in price over the past few years.

Normal Disclaimer - Any and all modifications should be checked by a certified gunsmith. The above post is from research that I have done over the years and from past experiences. Do any of the modifications at your own risk.

=
I hate to differ form you but the bore on a 32 rim fire is 309 dia , the dia of a 32 S&W long is .312 , at lest the one I did is that way , and cast bullet work just fine in it ,

http://olderthendirt.proboards.com/thread/4120/hopkins-allen-32-rim-fire

NORM

It is gun specific. I pulled my numbers from SAAMI for the 32S&W. I pulled the 32RF information from Wikipedia and other sources. Some of the Remington single shots in 32RF list a bore dimension of .304 I pulled the 32RFs out of the safe and measured the ones that I have. I have one (H&A 932) with a shot-out bore that is .318 a good one (H&A 932)that measures .316, and a Stevens Favorite in 32RF that measures .314. I was referencing the bullet diameter not the bore. With all of these it is pretty much gun dependent. Kind of like the older Marlin 30-30's. These have larger bores than the newer ones. And with shooting cast bullets, it is a very good practice to slug your bore to see the dimensions needed. Smaller bullets lead to barrel leading real quick and poor accuracy. Too big and there is the risk of pressure spikes that can be very hazardous especially in these older guns. Was just passing on some ideas about conversion that I had read. Personally, I have never understood why you would want to change a piece of history and also devalue the gun. If you are willing to spend that much time/money (chamber reamer/loading dies/bullet molds,etc.) converting a gun to another cartridge that it was not made for, spend the money and get another gun.

Back