Homemade tram tool

FWIW, the term “tram” comes from “trammel”, which has numerous definitions, one of which is:
“Any of various gauges used for aligning or adjusting machine parts.” Like the tool(s) that this thread is all about.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trammel

To tram something, such as a milling machine, is to align it using a trammel.

I guess it could be the age old situation of two countries separated by a common language, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

We now return to our regular programming.

Tom

The term tram for a mill is new to me, never heard it before joining this forum.
Demographics and geographics always play a part in the names we attach to inanimate objects. From the mechanical side of the house (especially machining) the word tram is a reference to alignment. In transportation it refers to moving people or product. Is "I was away" another way of saying you cut class? :big grin:

FWIW, the term “tram” comes from “trammel”, which has numerous definitions, one of which is:
“Any of various gauges used for aligning or adjusting machine parts.” Like the tool(s) that this thread is all about.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trammel

To tram something, such as a milling machine, is to align it using a trammel.

I guess it could be the age old situation of two countries separated by a common language, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

We now return to our regular programming.

Tom
Thanks Tom, tram from trammel, now I get it. The long standing misunderstanding of our shared language is the stuff of legends. Here in downunder we generally can understand american, this is because we watch a large number of movies and tv shows made in Nth America, but are well aware that Americans have trouble with our versions. Movies and tv shows made in Australia have to have a modified soundtrack so that it can be understood.

Demographics and geographics always play a part in the names we attach to inanimate objects. From the mechanical side of the house (especially machining) the word tram is a reference to alignment. In transportation it refers to moving people or product. Is "I was away" another way of saying you cut class? :big grin:

I didn't "cut class", as you so delicately put it, very often, it's more like I just wasn't paying attention, I was pretty good at that.

I think we just called it squaring the mill.

I really wasn't happy with the two indicator tool I made so I made another using one arm and one indicator. I believe this to be the most accurate way to go since (at least on one axis) the indicator is much farther from the center which seems to make it all more accurate. Also you don't have to sync two indicators.
It is adjustable so the radius can increase / decrease as needed.
I thought my mill was spot on but left to right I was 14 thou out. Easily adjusted to within a thou now.
The nod is four thou out and will be corrected as soon as I can get out there today.
The next thing is a DRO.IMG_20170430_1639553_rewind.jpg IMG_20170430_1655019_rewind.jpg

Is your vise sitting flat on your table?

yes, vise is flat

I think the question regarding the vise is noteworty for a couple of reasons. From the photo on the right it looks as if you have quite a bit of surface rust and that would be an accuracy issue. When I watch the tramming videos from tubalcain he trams to the head to the table with plenty of comments regarding the flatness of the table. Most of us are doing milling tasks in the vice so while tramming the table is good, tramming to the vice is the most important if that's holding the workpiece. In your redesign you stated reaching out farther on the table to tram the head which seems to indicate you haven't trammed the head to the vice or seems so in my observation. If the vice trams to .000" after the table is trammed this is really good.

Back