Homemade Grinder Tool Rest?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Those little "tables" found on most bench grinders are usually more trouble than they're worth. Have you made your own and got any pics?

Perfect thread because I want to make one for myself.

Often, I tend to just leave them off. I will be designing one or more soon too, I have all kinds of ideas, and I love to come up with stuff like this. I'll try to get to it soon, and post something.

Here is a homemade tool rest I found on a Ebay once. It really works great! I am in the process of reinstalling it since my move.

u3egavyp.jpg

It has all the necessary movements and is WAY better than using the one that was on my grinder!

Bernie

u3egavyp.jpg

Just building one as we speak. Uses a turnbuckle mechanism as a support leg to give fine tuning of the angles. If it works I'll try to post a pic or two.

If you want more pics or more info I will post more.

Bernie

When I got my 8" grinder, the tool rests left a lot to be desired, especially when grinding lathe tools. This is what I made up for the fine grit wheel. The table is made from 1/2" steel, with the pivot bracket welded to the bottom. The whole thing is attached to the wheel guard with 1 1/2" angle iron, with a brace to the pedestal base. I milled a groove to take a miter from one of my belt sanders, as well as other attachments for grinding specific angles.
PA111041a.jpg

PA111041a.jpg

It's not homemade, but I invested $49.50 on a Lee Valley/Veritas tool rest and love it. Very versatile, fully adjustable, well made. It has a horizontal groove for sliding jigs left and right, and I've made a few jigs to make it easier to sharpen lathe tools, (I'm not skilled at freehand grinding). With mounting holes in front of both wheels on my grinder and wing nuts on the bolts holding the tool rest, I can move it from the coarse to fine wheel easily.

It's not homemade, but I invested $49.50 on a Lee Valley/Veritas tool rest and love it. Very versatile, fully adjustable, well made. It has a horizontal groove for sliding jigs left and right, and I've made a few jigs to make it easier to sharpen lathe tools, (I'm not skilled at freehand grinding). With mounting holes in front of both wheels on my grinder and wing nuts on the bolts holding the tool rest, I can move it from the coarse to fine wheel easily.

Thanks, good find and I am ready to order one.
Bob

Back