Homemade Edm To Remove Broken Taps

Thanks for the link

I have been thinking of building and EDM, too. This guy has books and PCBs for 2 types. I am thinking about ordering the book for the pulsed version.

http://www.homebuiltedmmachines.com/

I am wondering, how do you shape the electrodes for custom shapes?
Any input from anyone that has built or used an EDM would be appreciated.

The shaped electrodes are usually made from a carbon rod. They are machined for the shape needed.

Copper has also been an electrode material. I've had hardened S7 alloy edm shaped to de-gate dozens of very small plastic parts for pick and place decades ago. Since graphite is the electrode of choice some shops have specifically isolated rooms with lathes, mills and other tooling to isolate the mess from other areas.

Well every place I have worked that had an EDM used the graphite or carbon rods for shapes. They also used the copper for burning thru taps and broken dowel pins.

Add anther small project to my to do list. Looks like fun to try out. I've seen commercial EDM's working, but never thought that
it would be so simple for a hobby shop. Thanks!

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Just added this project to my very long DIY list. There has been many a time that I could have put this to use.
Thanks again for sharing. Bob

I was thinking about the one I posted. If some electrode holders were made to take different diameter copper tubing. Then a holder for them to be mounted into with a fitting and hole to allow fluid to flow thru tube. That would keep the grit out of the hole that is being burnt. This would work just like conventional machines.

Back