Home shops and internal collets.

Jimsehr

Active User
Registered
I think about 80 percent of machine parts have holes or bores in them. But many home shops never use internal collets. I have been using them for about 40 years. At first I made them myself.
But now there are companies like Rovi collets that make good ones at a good price. Hardinge
Makes great collets but I think their internal collets are a bit costly. Internal collets are really great for taking a part from the lathe to the mill for later operations. Some of you home shop guys
Might like to see some you tube videos to see them in use. They can hold parts up to 6 inch dia.
And they can hold dead lengths as they only expand and do not move along the spindle length.
Jimsehr

Is that the same as an expanding collet? If do there are tons of videos if you search for "expanding collet videos"

Or use expanding mandrels (held in a collet or chuck)?

I didn't even know they made things like this until recently.

Ive just turned a hunk of aluminum into a mandrel and forced a screw down the middle before XD

Been using these for many years !! A lot of hobby machinists may find no to little use for these wonderful devices. They work well if you have a number of like parts to machine or need a "special" sized collet.

Back