Home Shop Layout

mirain33

Registered
Registered
I've just moved and have an opportunity to 'spread out' (plenty of space in the new basement).
It's clearly personal preference, but I wonder how some of you placed your machines and what works best for you?

The machines I have are: Clausing 4900 lathe (60" overall), Bridgeport mill (36" table), Benchtop W/T drill press, horizontal band saw.

I'm looking for ideas before I run the electric lines.
Thanks,
Michael

Couple things I can think of to consider.
Location to main electric panel. If you plan on a phase converter, welder or even setting up the shop on a sub-panel, keeping it close to the main panel minimizes wire runs. The heavy conductors can get pricey.
Stay as far from furnace and water heater as possible. Grinding dust, cutting oil smoke and various solvents you may use are not good for them and can be hazardous.
Overhead I-beam/s and post locations. Most houses have one or more supporting the floor joists. Don't overlook how handy an overhead steel beam can be for obvious reasons.
Windows- you may want some natural light or even a convenient place to vent a dust collector.
Access- is it a walk in type with ground level access?
Consider how you will be getting the machines down there and eventually out again. Do you plan to finish a portion of it for a rec room etc? Will part remain a storage area? The BP can be located in a corner to save space and also help contain flying chips on two sides. Allow enough space from walls so turret can rotate and handles on table do not interfere at max travel ranges. On lower ceilings locate head in between joists to maximize clearance for drawbar.
Lathe should have clear access on headstock end for gear train access and enough room for longer items to stick out thru the spindle. I would not back it up to the wall either. Nice to be able to get behind there to sweep or work on the motor etc. So basically if you have the space I would allow clearance all around.

Congrats on the new casa

Sometimes you need to work in your shop for awhile to be sure that the layout works best for you. I have my RPC on an "extension cord" that plugs into a dedicated circuit in the panel box. I was told that in my area, insurance companies don't like "industrial machines" hardwired into the house power without county inspections. County doesn't like industrial machines in residential areas. When not in use, breaker is off and RPC is unplugged. The machines themselves are wired to the RPC with 10/4 or 12/4 neoprene sheathed wire. I have moved the mill several times and the lathe once. I just got my shaper running and think it is in a good place but it is wired with a twist lock plug that is pulling power from the disconnect on the lathe so it can be moved if necessary. If the shaper remains where it is, I am considering moving the mill again.

Congratulations on the new house, enjoy playing around with your shop layout.

In the olden days BC, we would sketch the shop floor plan on graph paper and use little card stock cutouts of each machine to move them around the paper. (BC? before computers )

If you can I'd suggest keeping your lathe out away from walls , it's so nice to get 360 access. Even the mill I would leave room if you ever get the slotting head you'll spin it 360 to use. Drill press , grinders , Sanders can be up to walls. I'd keep the bandsaw on wheels in case you get long pieces to cut so it don't matter for storage. Of course you'll get more machines. A horizontal mill can be a corner item. You want a metrology center keep that away from the machines in a far corner with good lighting. Just my thoughts

Maintenance comes to mind. If you have room make sure everything that needs to be is accessable without having to move several hundred pounds of machinery.

Thanks, Gents for your ideas and input.
The project will, no doubt, go slower than I would like but 'slow and steady wins the race'.
Fortunately, I will be able to have full 360° access to the machines. I've always been a fan of mounting tool boxes on wheels which gives me lots of wiggle room once the large machines are finally placed.

My lathe's relatively short (30" bc) and I occasionally need to work on Longer Objects, so the mill (new to me!) is lined up with the lathe bed, that way I'll be able to put a tailstock on the mill table and have about 7 feet between centres, even if I can only work on one end at a time... A crank in the mill spindle might make cylinder/liner honing a lot more, er, mechanised (this winter's project-in-planning, taking a 1200cc bike out to 1600cc or so...).

Toolboxes on wheels are a good idea, too - I have a steel cabinet on castors for lathe chucks (I have quite a few...) plus toolholders/Morse tooling, I'm going to need another one for INT40 mill tooling etc....

Dave H. (the other one)

Back