• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the motor yet. I deleted the post and will add the diagram to this post with wire colors.

"Billy G"

102_0366 (850 x 565).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S1 is a DPDT switch. S2 is a SPST.

"Billy G"

S1 is a DPDT switch. S2 is a SPST.

"Billy G"

You've shown SPDT for S1.

Basically, to reverse the motor you must swap one of the windings end-for-end. The capacitor(s) must be in series with the aux winding. If the capacitor(s) are internal to the motor you can ignore them. On a reversible motor there is usually a diagram on the nameplate or junction box showing how to hook it up for each direction.

Do I really need the ability to reverse the direction of the motor for this application?

"Billy G"

Working up the lower set of binders.

"Billy G"

102_0367 (800 x 531).jpg

I think S1, is a momentary switch to start up the motor (switches in/out the capactor).

Do I really need the ability to reverse the direction of the motor for this application?

"Billy G"

I can't think of any reason, but you're the machinist. I'm just an electrical engineer with a garage full of junk.

When grinding you need to push down on the cutter with the wheel. This stops the wheel from pushing the cutter up and out of the wheel. That would be a bad thing. Any other thoughts on this issue?

"Billy G"

If you are going to the trouble of building from scratch, wouldn't it be nice to add speed adjustment? Even with a grinder, you can hit those resonant frequencies and being able to tune them out is a nice feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back