Home built welding/fab table

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
Registered
I spent several hours lately building a small shop sized "lazy Susan" type of welding table. I had scrounged up a one inch thick, 24" diameter steel plate and mounted it on a 1 1/4" shaft using some flange bearings. Then I fabricated a support table frame using some scrap plate, round stock, etc. The holes I drilled in the table are 5/8". I butchered some cheap f-clamps, welding on some round stock I had turned down to comfortably fit the plate holes. The table sits just at the right height for my welding style as I like to sit using a stool with my feet spread fairly wide. I can not weld if I am not comfortable. I'm thinking that this will fit just perfectly next to my welder in the 10'X20' building I'm finishing out with lots of electrical outlets, insulation, drywall, and maybe just a coat of paint. Maybe the pics will help make sense of how I built the table.

image.jpg image.jpg

I almost forgot, I splurged and mounted some Harbor Freight casters and I can quickly get this 165 pound beast any where I need it.

Very Nice! I wish I had a place around my neighborhood to find a plate/disc like that!

Nice little table JW. I just made my table a month er 2 ago. I made a TIG table from a work bench. ill get pics in the future as my wife had broken hep hip at work and needed a hip replacement, so I have a halt on my shop and such. Good job on your table!

Bob C

Thanks for posting pictures. That's a great piece of shop art. I'm sure that you will find more uses for it that just as a welding table. I'm in the same boat as chips&more. All of our good salvage yards are gone and its hard to find good material to work with unless you want to dig into the shop money.

Thats a real nice job! scrounging a 1 inch plate was a real score as well

Great job John. The lazy suzan feature is pretty cool too. Scrounged materials are great when you can put them to good use.
I made a small Tig ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414042023.141385.jpgsetup in my shop to do little odds and ends no major fab or anything. Picked up a 2" ground cast iron "wing" off of a giant wood planer at auction for $15.
Repurposed it as a welding table top. Leftover 1" tubing from another project.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414042023.141385.jpg

I like the round table but the little iron covered is my favorite with the bottle holders and room for a smallish machine with the cables hung right on it.. Great luck on the street find too!!! Wish my neighbors would clean out there junk and put it on the street, but they have to take it to the dump because we don't have regular garbage pick up like bigger cities and towns. Our city only has 6000 rural inhabitants so we are pretty well spread out too. Great projects and congrats on the scrounge!!!!

Bob

Back