Home built Mill

RCWorks

5 Star Possum Chef
Registered
I have a mill I want to get a spindle for...

The offerings I have seen so far come with an ER20 collet

I want to run Tormach quick change tool holders or somthing like it...

Anybody been here before?

TTS collets are available for either MT3 or R8 IIRC, so you would need a spindle with that taper. I would personally go with the R8. Might check out a replacement spindle for an X2 or RF45 depending on the size of your machine. Little Machine Shop sells parts for the X2 and X3.

TTS collets are available for either MT3 or R8 IIRC, so you would need a spindle with that taper. I would personally go with the R8. Might check out a replacement spindle for an X2 or RF45 depending on the size of your machine. Little Machine Shop sells parts for the X2 and X3.

What ever spindle I use needs to go in an 80mm spindle motor mount.

I have a Legacy Arty CNC router with a water cooled 3hp spindle. It uses ER20 collets.

I have a Legacy Arty CNC router with a water cooled 3hp spindle. It uses ER20 collets.

Ever find any quick change change tool holders for it? Thats what I want to do.

I have found VFD's and water cooled spindles, it's the ER20 that I have yet to find a quick change setup for.

When I asked, I was told they do not make one for the water cooled spindles.

They make one for Porter, Bosch, Dewalt or Triump router's that I use on my router table.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/quick-change-router-collet-1-2-dewalt-festool-freud-whiteside-9720/

Just using the ER20 collets in my CNC 3 hp water cooled spindle and I can change the collet and bit in 20 seconds or less, after some practices.

I use a short cardboard box with the wrench's, collet and bit in there ready to change. Just changing bits is even faster.

There is also a automatic tool changer for water cooled spindles but to much $$$$$$$$.

I think I'll just try milling a block of aluminum to a known height and let the tool rest on it while I tighten it up.

When I asked, I was told they do not make one for the water cooled spindles.

They make one for Porter, Bosch, Dewalt or Triump router's that I use on my router table.

rc works,
If you are running Mach, you can make a plate for the tool to touch off and zero out your Z. Using one of your inputs from the BOB, clip one wire to the tool and the other wire to the plate, when the contact is made it zeros out the Z height.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPR18EGsNs

Is this what you are looking to do?
Chris

Back