Home built 1X42 Belt Sander

ejames

Active User
Registered
I had a lot of help with this sander. A friend of mine built the business end of it from bits and pieces he had laying around his shop. After he sent it to me--he's in Tenn. I live in Missouri-- I mounted it on a simple wooden base,added a motor an pulleys from a cheap drill press I no longer use. Just got it running today. Still have a few odds and ends to finish up. Mounted it like this so I could move it easily if needed. Have a short video of it in operation here- http://www.flickr.com/photos/fastredx/sets/72157626480526363/ scroll to bottom of page.
1X42 Belt Sander 2013-10-26 005 (1280x960).jpg1X42 Belt Sander 2013-10-26 008 (1280x960).jpg

1X42 Belt Sander 2013-10-26 005 (1280x960).jpg 1X42 Belt Sander 2013-10-26 008 (1280x960).jpg

Hi Ed, looks good. Does the belt track OK? Larry

Nice, It looks like you have plenty of adjustment to use other length belts too. It's something everyone should have on their build list. Are the 2 tubes spring loaded to tension the belt? How do you adjust tracking?

What did you use for that large drive wheel? That can be a hard item (or terribly expensive) to find/use.

It tracks fine. Adjustment is done by loosening the bolt at top and turning the top wheel. Usually can adjust tracking by spinning it by hand.Need a "handle" of sorts at top for adjustments while running. The top wheel is spring loaded.The bottom wheel is from a two wheeled dolly. He chucked it up in his 7X10 lathe and turned it to needed diameter. I've never seen anyone turn rubber on a lathe before !
He patterned this after a Kalamazoo 1X42 he has in his shop. He installed vertical and horizontal platens for me.

I rather like the design! It is simple, should be pretty easy to build, and most of the parts are commonly available items. Thank you for posting it!

You're welcome Terry! When it come to anything he thinks he can use to build something,my friend is a bit of a pack rat,but it's not often he has to go buy material or parts for a project. Other than the pillow blocks,everything came out of his stash,which is in and around his shop.

Looks like a nice sander. You'll get a lot of use out of it if your anything like me. I'd be lost without mine. In fact, I ended up building 2. Along with my woodworking and metal shop, I do a little blacksmithing and wanted a sander in each shop. They sure are handy. Mine are a little bulkier, they take a 3 X 120" belt.

Jim Dunn

image.jpg

Back