Hollow end mills

Or, a rotary table.

You have many options.

The cutter you seek would have to cut from the inside of the cutter, None exist that I am aware of.

"Billy G"

I could be misreading the OP, but I think he's looking for something like this, with a 3/16" ID, attached to a 2MT shank. I don't have a clue where to find one if it even exists.

s-l225.jpg

Tom

Find a counter bore that takes a 3/16" pilot, run it without the pilot. Have done it many times.
IMG_4822.JPG

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Higgite, correct, basically a hollowed out end mill with a 3/16" ID. As long as it fits into one of my 2MT collects then I'm good.
The reason why I want to go tjhis approach is because it is so much quicker and easier while the pieces are set up for drilling, to just change the chuck with a collect/hollow end mill and perform the outr diameter cut.
The piece picture is made with five others all on the same piece of bar. I make all the hole cuts, taps and all and then I just cut them to separate them and they're done.
Boring and all the other suggestions I really don't understand, but they sound like a lot more set up than what should be needed.
Let me rephrase the original question.
Can an end mill, say a 3/8" or 1/2" end mill be hollowed out to have a 3/16" ID without destroying the end of the end mill bit sharpness?
If so, maybe I could pay somebody to just make me one of these.
Lastly, the depth of cut I need is only .60".

The cutter you seek would have to cut from the inside of the cutter, None exist that I am aware of.

"Billy G"
Hi Billy
I don't think so. As long as the end of the end mill cuts then it should remove the surrounding brass as the bit descends into the piece, with the .60" protrusion I want asending into the 3/16" hollow interior of the end mill.

Reactions: TTD
Higgite, correct, basically a hollowed out end mill with a 3/16" ID.

This is almost exactly what a counterbore is if you leave out the pilot.
Tell me what size collets you have and what dimensions the face around the hole is and I can send you one from my stash.

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back