Holdridge Radii Sizing Dimensions

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone direct me to a documented source for dimensions, or maybe you have access to one to measure? I'm trying to figure out size suitability between their model 3 versus 4. They spec them generically as #3 = up to 12" swing and #4 = 12-15" swing. But I've also read posts where people get one on that swing basis only to discover their particular compound top surface is either to high or too low.

Specifically I think I'm after the distance between tool center & base notch like this pic red lines. I have 14" swing, but I'm almost thinking if I don't necessarily require the full radii swing, maybe opt for the smaller one. That way I can always make a spacer block to raise it, but more difficult to effectively lower the assembly if my compound happens to sit high. Any experience or comments?

http://www.traverscanada.com/radii-cutter-set/p/85-202-032/

3-10-2016 0000.jpg

A 4" Holdridge should fit your lathe. But,nearly $1200.00 for a 3" set???? YIKES! I did not know they now cost that much. I wonder what my 8" set would cost. I have a 16" Grizzly,and the 8" USED Holdridge I got fitted my center height within a very small fraction of an inch. A quick adjustment of the elevation screw underneath the vertical axle was all that was needed.

George, trust me, at those prices I wont be buying new. Cant justify it. Hence the question. Been watching ebay & used classified. Some clean ones come up at about 1/2 new price but its sporadic. And that's the reason I would like to know with some advanced certainty what model will or wont work & nail down the "should fit" issue beforehand.

I've drawn up some plans & fully prepared to make something equivalent for myself if push comes to shove. But there are quite a few subtleties to these things & it becomes evident pretty quick why they are designed the way they are. Cutting a big C shapes from flat stock of say 5/8" steel, inner rotation C's and/or posts for progressive radii reach, height tweaking adjustability for cutting bit variations... Its not a Saturday morning project, at least at my pace.

Back