Holdridge 4D straight spindle dimensions?

ISEN AG

Registered
Registered
Recently picked up a Holdridge 4S ball/radius turning set and would like to make the 3 straight spindle yokes that came with the 4D set. They don't seem to be very intricate and was wondering if anyone had a Holdridge 4D set that they could possibly pull dimensions off of for me. If there is a thread that already covers this any information on that would also be greatly appreciated.

In the title you say 4D, in the text, you say 4S, I realize that the two characters are next to each other on the keyboard, easy to hit the wrong key, but which is it for sure? I do have a 4D set with all the pieces, some were missing, I got replacements from Holdridge, perhaps 10 years ago.

I have an 8D, so measurements from me won't help, but you are sitting on all of the mating parts which you can measure from. You are correct, they are not very intricate, and could be easily made.

In the title you say 4D, in the text, you say 4S, I realize that the two characters are next to each other on the keyboard, easy to hit the wrong key, but which is it for sure? I do have a 4D set with all the pieces, some were missing, I got replacements from Holdridge, perhaps 10 years ago.

I was under the assumption that the 4S was the standard set while the 4D had additional straight spindles as well as some additional tool bits which i seem to have. See the picture attached. There are 3 spindles and dimensions for those is what I am looking to get so I can make & add them to my set.

Apologize if these pictures are huge as I pulled them from the internet.

NpcjYxh_cYnfywnRRQ9M0f_s.jpeg

_NeMRApHDQSh_xlz7rpAZgxc.jpeg

You are correct that a 4D is the same as 4S except it has some extra pieces including the small diameter spindles. I have wanted to make or buy them for a while but never got to it.
Straight Spindle Yoke 1/2" dia, 4-13D-1
Straight Spindle Yoke 3/4" dia, 4-13D-2
Straight Spindle Yoke 1-1/2" dia, 4-13D-3

Attachments

• holdridge-4s-cover-inst-IMG_7739.JPG
    holdridge-4s-cover-inst-IMG_7739.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back