Holdridge 4d Radii Cutter

George Wilson (one of our mods) has a 8D and really likes it but suggested the 4D would better fit a 13" swing lathe. I think being able to do a 4" radius is probably big enough. :)

I picked up one at a garage sale, wont say how much I paid it would be mean.

Wowsers! That's a downright purdy one. Congratulations!

Going to need some more aluminum rounds to practice on. :)

Have you ever seen one of those goblets made with a Holdridge? Machinists used to make them out of a solid bar of brass,sometimes 5" or more in diameter,then get them silver plated. No telling how much brass was wasted on such projects. I'm sure they were made in a large shop where there wasn't too much supervision. And,the machinist didn't pay for the brass!

In fact,one of those might be seen in the manual,I think,though it's been many years since I saw a Holdridge manual.

Congrats on getting such a pristine outfit!! Looks like it was never used,or maybe used once and carefully put away!

You could make a ball base for an all position vise with that. I ought to make one for my wife's jewelry business.

I've not seen those goblets. I saw something a long time ago about 'spinning' thin aluminum to make stuff like that. Would that work with brass?

And I'm going to need some help here George, I'm not visualizing what you mean by a ball base or how it would be used. Sounds neat though. :)

I think he means a large ball head vise, usually used for engraving, Bill.

41DkNYnu39L.jpg

Back