Holding Small Stuff

I think you can do even better and spend even more money. You need to buy a watchmakers size lathe. Like a Levin 10mm. Then holding that small stuff is no problemclear.png and no more terrifying 8" spinning chucks:big grin:…Dave

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the help buddy. ;)

Actually I have been looking at Hardinge DV59s, which are pretty spendy, even used, but so far I'm just in the 'window shopping' phase and it may be too large for the really intricate stuff. The Levin would make more sense as I do enjoy tinkering around with watches, (automatics mostly), and large(r) lathes are not oriented towards doing precision work on really small parts. But for now, the er32 allows me to make relatively small parts like firing pins and stuff.

nice! I'm planning on making an ER25 collet chuck for my 618 using a lump of hex stock, then I can use it to cut flats on round shafts such as chuck keys and the like.

My PBA chuck is a set-tru. When I use the er32 chuck I put a DTI on it's inside taper and adjust for no visible TIR on the dial.
That works.
I have Tormach TTS chuck that utilize ER20 collets and have a 3/4" shank but the runout on my 3 jaw chuck makes it impractical. I had thought about an MT4 to 3/4" collet. Unfortunately, I lose the through hole feature.
Thanks, Bill

Bob

Back