Holding Knurled Stock In A Lathe

I haven't tried this myself on a knurled part but on a threaded stock , is to wrap some copper wire around the threads to protect it. (newbie trickFlustered)

Brass makes a poor wrapping for chucking, it is too hard; soft copper is best, such as that used for flashings on roofing. As far as plastics are concerned, if I was going to make a split sleeve for holding the knurled part, I'd use Delrin, as it is a good deal harder than PVC, etc.

Another reason very often to chuck the knurled part is the clean up the lead in and out of the knurling, the start and finish that is not sharp and crisp as a half roll to the side of the start/finish when only partial knurl is made.

because I'm a hobbiest not a pro and didnt think the job all the way through or I made a cockup and had to repair it
Not criticism merely a question, often such operations are required when the person that designed the part failed to take into consideration if it may be produced by conventional means as drawn.
You have to do what you gotta do in that case.

Not criticism merely a question, often such operations are required when the person that designed the part failed to take into consideration if it may be produced by conventional means as drawn.
You have to do what you gotta do in that case.
Yep, that sounds like me except for the drawing part, a few sketches on a bit of scrap paper is my usual modus opperandi. :laughing:

Back