Hive-mind: Favorite 1/8 shank abrasive rotary/dental burs, stones & polishing wheels [AKA Dremel bits]

Yup, the holder is a standard cheapo that I think is 3/4 / 1” boring bar holder. Just press out the 3/4” adapter and perfect fit. Two thumbs way up.

I don't exercise the Dremel very much anymore, but for polishing and contouring work like feed ramps on repeating arms and whatnot, Cratex abrasive-impregnated rubber rotary bits are the bee's knees. Diamond cutoff wheels are also great for cutting molded plastics. But in the grand scheme, I'm still a files and emery cloth kind of guy for a lot of the work that a Dremel can be used for. It's just got a narrow niche in my opinion.

I don't exercise the Dremel very much anymore, but for polishing and contouring work like feed ramps on repeating arms and whatnot, Cratex abrasive-impregnated rubber rotary bits are the bee's knees. Diamond cutoff wheels are also great for cutting molded plastics. But in the grand scheme, I'm still a files and emery cloth kind of guy for a lot of the work that a Dremel can be used for. It's just got a narrow niche in my opinion.
I think I understand why a rotary tool would be limited use in firearms. I don’t do that kind of work but thinking about cramped slides etc I could see how it would suck. My problem had always been the form factor of the Dremel and how puny they are. So when I went Foredom it was a whole other world especially the ability to change work heads quickly. Where the Foredom really shines for me is cleaning and smoothing detailed welds. The mini angle grinder with mini flap disks rules.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 9
+1. Another Foredom user here, and a big fan of Cratex (including the 'sticks' that aren't used in a rotary tool!) - great for polishing in the lathe, especially for threads.

I have used some cheap (Amazon) radial bristle disks that work well, but have a definite shelf life, particularly in the heat. After a year they turn brittle and pretty much just disintegrate (I have *not* had that problem with Cratex). Still probably an OK way to go as long as you're blowing through them. I keep a rather large stock of Cratex on hand, in myriad sizes/shapes and grits. They're superb at rounding and polishing parts, like 1911 thumb safeties, or 'melding' 1911 grip safeties, without changing the overall shape.

GsT

Micro-Mark sells a variety of cutters with 1/8" shanks. Carbide and HSS. Along with the usual assortment of abrasive grinding/cutting bits and mandrels to hold them.

Are those a special order or special name? I’ve never notice cratex before.
"Cratex" is a trademark name, but like Kleenex or Post-it, there are many manufacturers but the name sticks.

So have you tried the “rubberized abrasive” that comes up in the same search? They are a quarter the cost and they are bonded to the arbor instead of the funky screw skewer that real Cratex come with.

Oooooo I can feel another eBay binge spree a comin’ on…….see what you did John!

So have you tried the “rubberized abrasive” that comes up in the same search? They are a quarter the cost and they are bonded to the arbor instead of the funky screw skewer that real Cratex come with.

Ha ha, I have and it works. It wears faster and sometimes comes debonded, but the price is right. No complaints about the finish or removal rate, either.

I stick to Cratex brand because I've had poor results with the couple of 'generics' that I tried. The cost savings evaporate when you see the off-brand disintegrate at 4 times the rate of Cratex. Cratex has a large line - they have some that are bonded to an arbor as well, rather than using the screw arbor. They also have some with a machine thread brass insert. Personally I like the screw arbor for small bobs, it's very quick to change out and lets you maximize use of the bob before switching.

GsT

Back