Hitachi L200 Inverter on my lathe

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok guys, I really feel dumb on this one.
My G1030 lathe came to me used and with a 3 phase motor and Hitachi L200 Inverter. All of the programing
of the inverter and wiring of the inverter to lathe were already done. Hooked it all up to a 220V single phase
line that I ran to my shop myself. All has works wonderfully except I have to reach over the lathe to adjust the speed with the little knob on the inverter. Now I want to add a speed adjustment potentiometer to the front panel of my lathe. Wiring it to the inverter was easy, but ....... here's where my tired old bunch of neurons in the head just can't for the life of me figure out out how to program the inverter to accept my potentiometer input. I have the manual and have looked on line for simpler instructions as to how to get the inverter to recognize the new pot, but somehow everything that I have tried to do to get the right parameters in the right place in the inverters program using the front panel buttons hasn't gotten me anywhere and I'm afraid to play around with it too much in order to keep from messing it up to the extent that I won't be able to use the lathe. It looks so simple but I just can't figure it out. Anybody out there familiar with the L200 and which buttons to press to get it to change to my front panel speed control knob?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Hi Chuck,
You need to set A001 to "01" which sets the speed input to the control terminals. The Pot would be connect to the H O L terminals. Not OI.
L200 speed pot remote.jpg
Press the Func key and the PRG light should go on, and scroll down (1 and 2) to A---, then press the Func key
Scroll down to A001 press the Func key
Press the scroll keys until 01 is showing then press the STR key to store the parameter.

mksj
Thank you. I don't know how many times I tried this yesterday, but obviously I was doing something wrong, because the o1 never stuck in the A001.
It now runs exactly like I thought it should. My new knob on the front panel of my lathe now controls the speed, very smoothly.
Now do you know anything about resistive braking on this thing. The manual says that you can do it, but that it requires a "special" factory furnished
braking module. (The WJ200 inverter just needs an added resistor.)
Again thanks a million.

You are correct, the L200 does not have the braking circuity built into the VFD, you would need the HBU-2015 braking module and a braking resistor for your size VFD. This is outlined in the module instructions attached. Unfortunately the braking module costs probably the same as the VFD, so it is not really cost effective. But below is a link to the module and pricing. VFDs have internal braking and should be able to brake a smaller lathe in about 3 seconds, only with heavy chucks/high speed with fast brake time do you exceed the limits of the internal resistor.

https://www.driveswarehouse.com/hbu-2015-2271

Attachments

• hitachi dynamic hbu series braking unit instruction manual.pdf
    592.4 KB · Views: 11
Back