Hit & Miss engines & vintage machine tools

Stephen Hopkins

Registered
Registered
I just added 2 more Hit & Miss engines to the stable, a Nelson Jumbo 3 Hp & a United (Associated) 2 Hp. From May thru October I & my accomplice tour South Central Michigan demonstrating line-shaft machinery & blacksmithing using a Termaat & Monahan from 1912 to drive the line shaft with a lathe, post drill, grinder, table saw, burr mill & anything else we can throw a belt on. In the shop we have an Acme cone head turret lathe, an unidentified 14" engine lathe, a 24" cut-off saw driven by a Hercules Hit & Miss, and numerous other vintage pieces, including several vintage industrial sewing machines.

Nelson Jumbo1.JPG United2.JPG firewood.jpg T&M 1.JPG SFH MBL.JPG Acme2.JPG

That is an amazing collection. I glad you are able to share it with others.

Stephen: Thanks for taking the time to post pictures. Nice collection. Roger

That's a really nice setup with the line shaft on a trailer. Give people an idea how an old machine shop may have operated.
thanks for showing!

Love that old Hercules running on LP!!!!
Fantastic collection!
Thank you.

Update: Got the Nelson Jumbo running Sunday, 15 June 14. The United is unstuck, & I have a fuel mixer nearly completed

Jumbo run3.JPG

​ Saw your post a few weeks back then last week while at the flea market saw this collection.I didn't have a camera then but brought one with me this morning and took these pictures. No one in the booth either time so I don't have anymore info.I thought that the wooden fly wheel was pretty cool.
*****************Gator******************************************************

Hit And Miss Engins 013.jpg Hit And Miss Engins 002.jpg Hit And Miss Engins 001.jpg Hit And Miss Engins 005.jpg Hit And Miss Engins 017.jpg Hit And Miss Engins 016.jpg Hit And Miss Engins 018.jpg

As you can probably tell, I fervently believe ,we (however you define it) we must
tell the story,lest they lose the the thread of metal working history; It's Wayyyy
Older than our eager Newbies can imagine. ..........BLJHB

So true. Its amazing ho they solved some of the problems they encountered way back when. Even more fascinating when you consider how little it can take to bring a 100+ year old piece of machinery back to life again.

Back