Hi, newbie here.

Sandia

Active User
Registered
I was wanting some feedback on the purchase of a knee mill. I posted on the general forum for opinions on what to purchase and got some interesting results. I am considering a Bridgeport or possibly a Jet mill. I have a GHB1340 Jet lathe that I have owned for several years and it has performed well. I know the quality of the old Bridgeports was top notch, but I am not very trusting when they represent them as "rebuilt". Most of them are old at least in my price range. Another problem is most of the availability seems to be up in the northern states or west coast, not so much in south Texas. This has led me to considering a new or nearly new Jet. What is you guys opinions?
Thanks much

It's been a while and I know this forum is on Jet etc but maybe you should redirect your question to the Bridgeport and clones section above this one. I have a bench top and can't comment on knee machines-- except I didn't get one because they 're so heavy.

but I am not very trusting when they represent them as "rebuilt". Most of them are old at least in my price range. Another problem is most of the availability seems to be up in the northern states or west coast, not so much in south Texas. This has led me to considering a new or nearly new Jet. What is you guys opinions?
Thanks much

I bought a mill/drill and sold it and bought a knee mill new from Enco (9x48 variable). I am extremely glad that I did. It performs very well and is much easier to deal with than the mill/drill. Wait till you can get free shipping from Enco.

Sorry, edit here. Just wanted to note, that a rebuilt machine could be very good as a bridgeport, but depends on who re-conditioned it and how. That would require some measuring and testing.

Hi I too am a newbie on this forum but I am no Newbie to machining.
I have 70 years experience as a machinist. Yeah Im old
OK I have owned Bridge ports and a Enco Mill (brigeport type).
The Enco was fabulous. I had it and it was busy 7 days a week for 33 years .
One of the jobs we ran on it was machine taping plastic, chemical pump blocks.
I had a device made that we called a DEEDER BOPPER.
It would reverse the spindle when a simple lever swith on the depth adjustment screw was triped.
That Enco was as good as new when we sold it after 33years of Job shop use.
Now all that being said. I do not remember which Tiwanese Company made it.
We also had a Super Max mill ( Bridgeport clone) for 33 years. It was also like new when we sold it.
I would recomend you make sure No matter which machine you personally decide to buy, You get a return money back guarantee.

Hi I too am a newbie on this forum but I am no Newbie to machining.
I have 70 years experience as a machinist. Yeah Im old
OK I have owned Bridge ports and a Enco Mill (brigeport type).
The Enco was fabulous. I had it and it was busy 7 days a week for 33 years .
One of the jobs we ran on it was machine taping plastic, chemical pump blocks.
I had a device made that we called a DEEDER BOPPER.
It would reverse the spindle when a simple lever swith on the depth adjustment screw was triped.
That Enco was as good as new when we sold it after 33years of Job shop use.
Now all that being said. I do not remember which Tiwanese Company made it.
We also had a Super Max mill ( Bridgeport clone) for 33 years. It was also like new when we sold it.
I would recomend you make sure No matter which machine you personally decide to buy, You get a return money back guarantee.

Thanks Jimmy, sounds like you have been around the you have been around the block a time or two. I was never able to find a Bridgeport in south Texs that was not completely shot. Looked at some of the local suppliers (Rex Supply) at the Jet mills. Finally decided on the 3 HP E-Mill by Acer and so far I love it. It is whisper quiet and the tolerances are super good.
Thanks again.

Thanks Jimmy, sounds like you have been around the you have been around the block a time or two. I was never able to find a Bridgeport in south Texs that was not completely shot. Looked at some of the local suppliers (Rex Supply) at the Jet mills. Finally decided on the 3 HP E-Mill by Acer and so far I love it. It is whisper quiet and the tolerances are super good.
Thanks again.

I have a close friend who has a jobbing shop and that same mill. I help him out ocasionally and I agree that mill is the cats meow. If I were going into business today ,that would be my preffered mill.
I have heard the Bridgeport is no longer made in the USA Don't know for sure where it is made now days.
Enjoy your new mill and have fun.

Back