Hhip Er-40, D1-4 Direct Mount Chuck

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
I purchased this chuck awhile back and reviewed it briefly here:

http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/hhip-d1-4-direct-mount-er-40-chuck-review.42962/

It is now back in stock on ebay. This is a steal at $77.51 for a really nice ER-40 chuck. Keep in mind that it is made in China but I found it to be quite accurate and have used it a fair amount since buying it and it performs quite well. A direct mount D1-4 ER chuck is not that easily found, especially not for this price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/125MM-DIAME...951683?hash=item51e9729583:g:BZEAAOSwdzVXrh2c

Mikey -
I looked at the eBay listing, and noticed that the concentricity spec was .002" I thought collets were supposed to be a lot more precise than that. Was there a different number on the chuck, packaging or paperwork? Might the .002" be a misprint, and they actually meant .0002"???? Thanks!

Mikey -
I looked at the eBay listing, and noticed that the concentricity spec was .002" I thought collets were supposed to be a lot more precise than that. Was there a different number on the chuck, packaging or paperwork? Might the .002" be a misprint, and they actually meant .0002"???? Thanks!

Yeah, I saw that, too, John. I'm not sure but when they listed the one I bought they cited 0.0002" concentricity. I found it to have 0.0001" concentricity on my lathe. I can't say its a misprint for sure but I think it is.

Not a misprint, I purchased one of these as a direct mount and it was out by 0.002" and was returned. More recently all of his listings for these type of ER chucks where revised with the 0.002" TIR. These should be better than 0.002" but the QC it is probably hit or miss. Even though I have a D1-4 mount, I will probably get a flat backing ER 40 chuck mount and machine my own set-tru adapter. A shame to have to go that route, but I do not want to keep returning the direct mount chucks until I get one with a better TIR.

Good to know. I must have gotten one of the good ones, then. This much run out on an ER chuck is totally unacceptable.

Just to double check, I measured my ER chuck for concentricity again and it is still 0.0001" TIR. If it was 0.002", I would have returned it, too.

I ended up with one of the "miss" quality ones too. Supposedly, the vendor is going to check his stock & get back to me regarding an exchange. I pointed out that the brochure they send with (advertising many other tools as well) shows runout (concentricity, they call it) at .0008. Mine was also at .002, mounting surface had some areas that looked like it may have been set on something abrasive, & it wasn't finished cleanly across the entire surface, just partially. Disappointing, I must say. Hope it gets resolved easily.

Hmmm, mine is finished very nicely all over and it is very accurate. I do hope Hhip makes everything right for you guys. I feel bad to have recommended this chuck, only to hear the chucks are now not accurate. I swear, mine is as good as I said it was.

Back