Hf8x12

Well I finally completed my bench and have the lathe mounted. At this rate it will be the next century before I get to make anything with it. I've been really busy with work and I finally got a short break. <and I mean short>

Anyway here she is proudly standing in the shop waiting for the tool post.IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG
I removed the the saddle and tailstock and did a through cleaning and oiling. It was really dirty and had a few burrs but cleaned up very nice.

Ken I followed your advice on the QCTP. AXA-8x12-Lathe-QCTP-Mod.jpg IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1233.JPG

I have to say the material is like trying to mill a giant pencil lead. Does anyone know what this stuff is? The mill is going to need a complete cleaning now.
OK so now that I have the compound rest top milled down to the 0.141 dimension, I'm looking at the thickness where it is to be drilled and tapped M14,5 and there is only 0.195 of meat there. Is that enough?

IMG_1232.JPG
This is the compound rest top flipped upside down. The recess is 0.204

IMG_1234.JPG
This is the factory unmodified compound rest top. I'm wondering if they simply had a press fit for their threaded post. Although I don't really understand what the pin is for. Could you guys please point me in the right direction here.

Cast iron. It has an excess of carbon in it, expressed as graphite in the finished metal. Same as pencil lead. Those chips are quite abrasive, and are worth keeping out of your machines. Cover everything you can before machining cast iron, and clean up well afterwards.

View attachment 227104
This is the factory unmodified compound rest top. I'm wondering if they simply had a press fit for their threaded post. Although I don't really understand what the pin is for. Could you guys please point me in the right direction here.

On mine, that pin goes into a hole in the compound to prevent the stud from rotating.

Thanks Dan. That makes perfect sense.

Well this is what I came up with. I was concerned that 0.195 wouldn't be thick enough for threads. So I decided to make a jam nut out of steel to help.
IMG_1237.JPG

I laid the nut in the recess of the compound and centered my mill spindle to the nut because the original hole in the compound wasn't centered to the recess.
I then bored to 0.500 and tapped M14,5.

IMG_1235.JPG

With the post screwed in.
IMG_1236.JPG

With the nut installed.
IMG_1238.JPG

Seems to be nice and tight. The height looks good I think. I don't have any tools yet. You guys keep out bidding me on ebay for those used HSS tools. :) So I ordered some full fare from the online store.
IMG_1241.JPG

Seems to me pushing the handle away to lock the tool would be more natural, and a little more out of the way, rather than pulling to lock. Is this the way other QCTP operate?

Last edited:
Seems to me pushing the handle away to lock the tool would be more natural, and a little more out of the way, rather than pulling to lock. Is this the way other QCTP operate?

You want to pull to lock, so it doesn't interfere, with anything else. If it was pushed in, it could potentially interfere with the work, tail-stock, head, or common accessories like a face plate, steady rest, or follow rest.

Last edited:
Ok Dan. Thanks. This is my 1st one.
BTW I really enjoy your videos. I plan to make some of your upgrades when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back