Hf8x12

Years ago they carried and sold several different types of machinery. Even surface grinders why they don't now I don't understand , there's still money to be made from them. Good luck with your lathe

Thanks Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you know, Chip, I have the Lathemaster 8x14 now for several years. She's a tough little lathe and done every thing that I wanted her to do. When you take apart the lathe to clean it from the grease, have a file and some emery cloth handy. You may find some flashing and paint overspray. Also when you pull the screws out, clean the threads with a tap.

Thanks Dogood. Might need to get me some metric dies.

By the way Bob, I've been under the impression that mineral spirits wouldn't necessarily be a strong smelling substance. Just a mild solvent I reasoned. Something my machinist buddies knew about that I would get around to one day. Didn't really know what it was. But paint thinner! Brings meaning to the phrase ignorance is bliss. :)

Chip,

You won't regret your lathe. It's an excellent lathe to learn on with the major drawback being that it has manual gears for threading rather than a quick-change gear box. As has already been pointed out in this thread, this is not a toy, but has enough mass -- at least for a small lathe -- to do some serious work in steel.

Two suggestions:

1.) Get an AXA Wedge Quick Change Tool Post kit (QCTP and five tool holders) from CDCO http://www.cdcotools.com/ for about $120 plus shipping. The wedge-type QCTP costs a little more than the piston type, but in my opinion is far superior and well worth $9 difference. Also spring for $27 plus shipping and get a spare Compound Rest from Little Machine Shop https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2820&category=

Have the LMS compound milled to the specs below. Also, you might need to get a different gib than stock. LMS was able to help me. The QCTP enhances the lathe so much, you'll never go back.

AXA-8x12-Lathe-QCTP-Mod.jpg
Here is how my lathe looks with the QCTP. (I also made the top QCTP screw clamp with a black knob to match the tool holder clamp lever with red knob.

Bostar_QCTP.jpg

2. Another great enhancement that greatly expands the lathe's capacity is the addition of a 5-inch three-jaw chuck. LMS has both the chucks and the backplates, but you can find both cheaper with a little searching. (You can get a 5-inch three-jaw chuck from CDCO for $69.00 plus shipping. A 6-inch chuck is a little overkill, but has been done. If you go that route, be sure the jaw ends don't hit the ways.) The 8x12 spindle bearings are quite robust and easily handle the larger chucks.

One more suggestion is to remove the threading dial and store it except when you need it for threading.

You can buy spare parts and gears for this lathe from Harbor Freight, but they take about six months to ship.

Enjoy your new lathe!

Last edited:
check out dans hobbies on youtube, he has on and has some very good videos about it.

Well after opening the shipping box this is what I found.
View attachment 142024
Do you guys know what Induction Hardening is?

--Chip

It's interesting that you have the smaller back v way. The website and some other new models I have seen online didn't have the back v way.

induction hardening is the use magnetic fields to heat up a part.

Yes I was very happy to see the little v way.
Unfortunately work is getting in the way. It's still sitting on the flat cart I made. I haven't even finished the work bench to put it on. Hopefully this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back