Hf8x12

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi Fellow Gadgeteers,

As you all know I have a Taig Lathe and Mill along with other misc stuff. I really like my lathe and wouldn't get rid of it. Problem is that it's pretty small and I think a larger unit would be a welcome addition to the shop to help. A larger spindle bore would be great as I have a bunch of these 2 inch pieces left over that were used for work holding. Kinda wasteful.

Ok so I'm wondering about the HF8x12. I know the Lathemaster is the same but appears not to be around any longer. Do you guys think this is a viable option? I've read the motor/capacitor historically have been a problem but I'm ok with that as I would ultimately prefer my own motor control system anyway (I have an electronics junk pile). But I wonder about replacement parts/gears etc. I wouldn't want to be stuck with something I couldn't fix if need be down the road.

As far as price is concerned I think $750 with the HF coupon is pretty low compared to some of the others. Although it does not come with the necessary 4 jaw chuck. But I could pick this up later as budget allows.

I know this kinda question gets worn out here but there are many options out there, but there is no way I would buy anything without you guys input.

Thanks,
--Chip

If you have enough room you can get a much larger used lathe for that price. Yes, it will be a project, but so will the HF...

Have you looked at the grizzly 0768? This is an 8 x 16 and comes this a 3 & 4 jaw Chuck, steady rest and follower. This lathe is all metal gears and change gears. Variable speed, reverse and well built
I'm a home hobbist, I looked at the tiag, but did not offer me what I was looking for. Too small, but very capable .
I spent about $1000 on the 0768, including the shipping. I've owned it about 2 years and when bought it was on sale for $895. Been happening with the machine ,especially the variable speed. Tom

Attachments

• 96783-24_rB_web.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Oops wrong PDF. The water timer is not it never less go to grizzley.com and look at the manual. Tom

I bought a Lathemaster 8x14 same as the HF 8x12, because Lathemaster offered such things as 4 jaw chucks, rests, etc. that you would have to get though Lathemaster anyway at the time. I like my lathe even though it is a plain jane compared to the 8" siegs appears to be pretty robust. After much research, I found out that these lathes are made by Dazheng in Chizhou, Anhui, China. The model number of this lathe is HD210. Now if anyone knows who else beside HF sells Dazheng lathes and or tooling, I'd sure be interested. In your case, Chip, perhaps the grizzly G0768 would be the best bet. Little Machine Shop sells a 8 1/2 by 20, but it is pretty expensive. Either way, the tooling would be fairly easy to get.

My son has a HF 8x12 and I have a SB light 10. If I had limited space I'd be reasonably happy with the smaller machine. Comparing the 7" lathes I've seen in the HF store with the 8x12, one gets the impression of a toy versus a real lathe. I know the 7" machines can be made to do wonderful work but I bet it would be much easier to get those results on the 8" lathe. It is so much more massive and stiffer. One person can pick up the 7" machines. The 8" machine takes an olympic weight lifter or 2 average guys.

Plane Jane besides cost was another reason I've been considering the 8x12. I reason that there are fewer things to break. But Dogood brings up a good point, what about tooling? I noticed the G4000 has the same simplicity yet comes with more accessories although cost more. What ever happened to Lathemaster anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip, I'm beginning to see where you are going. I have the same question about Lathemaster, what happened to it. That is why I researched on who made the lathe. Again, it appears to be Dazheng. I also have been trying to find the review site "Annisquam Granite" site. Excellent review on the 8x14 but I can't find it right now. However, it is a lathe and you sound like a guy that would be able to make your own tooling and/or adapt. If you look at the weights of the different lathes, you will see that the 8x12 (about 260lbs) is heavier with more cast iron that many of the other 8"and even one of the 9". Also I've not had any problems with the motor, even though I'd like to switch to a DC. The Grizzly G4000 appears to be on the light side but still capable of good work. I believe that is the one that Steve Beldare rebuilt parts of the carriage. Hope this helps.

Chip, I read the site that you have referred to. The original one was about 3 pages long. He wrote about such things as spindle run out(mine measured way less then a thousand). It has hardened ways. He also wrote about mods. Such as get rid of the Phillips screws that the gear cover shut and replace them with thumb screws ( I used a spring hasp). Also replace those allen head screws with hex head for changing chucks. If I had known that the original review was to disappear , I would had down loaded it.

Back