HF micro mill-drill

Ed is quite correct. You are introducing errors from the vise, for one thing, into your process. Work directly on the table.

On a side note, where and when did the word "tram" start being used to describe this process? I looked in a couple of online dictionaries, and don't fine any definitions related to aligning a machine. Around these parts, we just call it "sweeping" the head in. I see tramming being used in most, if not all machinist fora, but never called sweeping. I find that odd.

Gib is straight but the holes were off, where the gib was sliding out there was a line just above the holes in the gib, so it was a simple matter of re-drilling in the correct location, seems to be fine now.
Sweeping the head is next.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveH,
Also known as a swag-serious wild a$$ guess?
Just grabbed the dti from the machine shop here at work to tram or sweep the head.

Joe

Highpower link=topic=2860.msg20461#msg20461 date=1312286203 said:
Tony Wells link=topic=2860.msg20258#msg20258 date=1312053418 said:
On a side note, where and when did the word "tram" start being used to describe this process? I looked in a couple of online dictionaries, and don't fine any definitions related to aligning a machine.

I found a couple right off the bat?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tram

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trammel

Oh, I know what a tram is, and a trammel, and trammel points.....but I don't see any connection with aligning a mill head to the table, strictly using the word "tram" as a verb. I just wondered where that got started, and if perhaps it was a regional thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
tram[sup]2[/sup]n (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) Machinery a fine adjustment that ensures correct function or alignmentvb trams, tramming, trammed (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) (tr) to adjust (a mechanism) to a fine degree of accuracy[short for trammel]
I just took it to mean that it was a general term - like slang. I don't know the who, where, or when - but I'd bet an engineer had something to do with it. ;D

And if you're really good at it, you're a whammer jammer trammer!

I guess I'll stay with what I have always used, "sweep the head". You indicate a vise or fixture, but sweep the head. Oh well....maybe a Southern thing! ;)

Back