HF micro mill-drill

joegamma1

Active User
Registered
Does anyone know of any known problems with the HF micro mill-drill? Anything to watch for or upgrade to a problem later?
So far I am very happy with mine.

Joe

IMAG0015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about the "nod" as it does seem a bit off. I did adjust the gibbs and still have one that will slide out with the table, maybe a good lapping would help that?
I have dreams of building small hit n miss engines eventually and have just completed my first project(posted in the projects/stationary engine forum) this past weekend.
Thanks for your response.

Joe

I have one. It's good for what I do; just remember it's not a big, rigid machine, and take cuts accordingly.

If your gib is sliding out, it is probably installed backwards. There are little divots for the screws to fit into, that hold it in place.

Yea, I've had them out and the fit into the grooves, but if the table travels too far it seems to take it back with it.

Joe

Re-checked the gibbs last evening they were in right(really only one obvious way to fit them) so I adjusted them and cleaned/lubed them and everything is now working as it should, I may not have cleaned all the packing grease out the first go-round. Thanks for the comments.

Joe

Just remember to take it slow. Multiple passes, even for brass. Aluminum you can get away with a bit more, but not much. It won't take much punishment, and if you push it, it will let you know (probably by breaking), so keep the speeds up, the feeds low, and the depth of cut to just a whisker.

But it sure beats milling on a lathe!

Thank you, good advise I'm sure. I have done a few things with it and have always kept the plastic gears in mind when running this machine, I'm sure I'll break one at some point.

I checked the "squareness" of the head to the table using a piece of 3x3x1" steel in the vise and was able to get a .006 feeler gauge under the flycutter at the back end(turn the head by hand of course), not sure if this is a proper way of doing it but it was enough to show me a problem.
I'm goin to try shimming the upright in .001 increments to try and get it right.

Joe

That makes sense, still having trouble with the gibbs too, the y axis gibb keeps going with the table.

Checked the other things but I did wonder about the depth of the screw holes.

Back