HF 8x12 Timing belt system

autonoz

Active User
Registered
I picked up a used HF 8x12 lathe today. The lathe is in great shape, but is missing what is referred to as the timing system belt. Can anyone shed some light on what this does? Is it just part of the speed control adjustment?

I picked up a used HF 8x12 lathe today. The lathe is in great shape, but is missing what is referred to as the timing system belt. Can anyone shed some light on what this does? Is it just part of the speed control adjustment?

It's to help with torque transfer, when you are running in the lower 3 speeds. Toothed belts can transfer more power than a v belt for a given amount of tension.

The timing belt transfers power from the motor to one of the three step pulleys. You need it to run the lathe in the lower rpm range.

Bob

As the others said the toothed belt is to run the 3 slower speeds. You would install the toothed belt, then run the V belt to the rear pulley to use the slower speeds.

Looks like LMS is out of stock but that would be my first choice in searching for a replacement. I'd give them a call just to make sure if their site is listing their stock correctly. You could also get a replacement from HF but they tend to take forever. The Lathemaster 8x14 is the same exact lathe. They list the belt on their site but not sure if they have it in stock. Give them a call. I've ordered a number of parts from them, sometimes hard to get a hold of but always took care of me.

http://www.lathemaster.com/BELTS.htm

If you are going to do any threading you'll need it. Depending on the thread pitch, I found that the slowest speed was not slow enough some times. Lathemaster used to sell a reduction pulley to replace the stock rear pulley (not listed on their site anymore). It has planatery gears in side to further reduce the speed but because of the gears the motor direction has to be run in reverse in order to run the spindle counterclockwise. It was one of the best things I added to my HF8x14 when I had it.

Img_9002.jpg

Thanks guys. I bought the belt from EBay and put it on yesterday. Works just fine.

Back