HF 8x12 Lathe - Best method to remove chuck from spindle

gorlosky

Active User
Registered
I plan on swapping chucks and morse taper on the head end often. What is the best tool to work in that small space to get to the 3 screws that hold the chuck on.
I'm guessing a very short allen wrench straight length of maybe 3/8 of an inch used in a pass thru ratchet.
Any ideas would welcome.

Should not be three screws. Should be 3 studs that screw into the chuck with nuts that you just get a wrench on.

Should not be three screws. Should be 3 studs that screw into the chuck with nuts that you just get a wrench on.

Only the 7Xs come like that, the 8Xs use SHCS & the spindle is counterbored for them. The lathe should have came with a shortened hex wrench for removing them. Of course one could always install studs in the chuck & use nuts though.

Yikes, the nuts are bad enough to deal with. I would hate to have to squeeze in a hex wrench.

I found a flat pass thru ratchet in a cheap set at harbor freight and cut a short piece of the hex wrench. I glued the piece into the wrench leaving a little more than the bolt head depth. The wrench has a reverse. With this I can remove and replace the bolts on the chuck as quickly as I can on my 7x. I also made a short hex wrench for the final tightening.

Joe

I put studs in and then turned some bushing so the nut and washer tighten against the bushing. It takes less then a minute to remove the 3 jaw and put on my 4 jaw or spider.

Bob

Back