HF 8x12 just arrived

What "bearing run in" procedure ?

You should always do a run in period for the spindle when new. HF manuals do not tell you this. I did it when I had one of these lathes & it became much smoother. You can download a Grizzly manual for a similar sized lathe to get an idea.

How much can you ream the bore. I assume you do it with a boring tool ?

Where do you go to download a grizzly manual?

How much can you ream the bore. I assume you do it with a boring tool ?

Where do you go to download a grizzly manual?

You can download manuals directly from Grizzly. Just go to any of their machine pages & there will be a link for the manual. They don't have the same size & model but you can get an idea of the break in procedures from their 7x or 9x lathes that use similar bearings.

I'm not sure it's worth boring out the spindle to a larger size if that's what you are referring to. It has a 3/4" through hole. I doubt there's enough meat on it to bore it out to 1". Maybe 7/8" but that might even be questionable. I wouldn't take anyone's word for how large you can go unless of course they have actually done it. It's best to measure yourself & determine that.

Thanks, I am looking forward to it.

Here's my picts of the pulley reduction to slow the speed down to about 40 rpm's. Pictures are in no particular order. http://s8.photobucket.com/user/unioncreek/library/lathe

Here's a link to the 7X yahoo page where I found the info and used to build my spider. Les Brookes a retired gunsmith wrote up the pages.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/7x12minilathe/files/Gunsmith Related Info/

Still looking for my photos of the inboard spindle may have to take some more.

Bob

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure it's worth boring out the spindle to a larger size if that's what you are referring to. It has a 3/4" through hole. I doubt there's enough meat on it to bore it out to 1". Maybe 7/8" but that might even be questionable. I wouldn't take anyone's word for how large you can go unless of course they have actually done it. It's best to measure yourself & determine that.

You can ream the spindle to 13/16" it doesn't help a lot, but a little is sometimes all you need. I have a reamer if your interested in it. Would sell it if your interested just pm me. You can build a new spindle and get a 1 inch bore without having to increase the size of your bearings. I'm considering it, but you have to also find the gear combos for threading then.

Bob

Finally I have the bench cleaned off (sold the Barnes 9x23) and cleaned up the bench adding a "tub" to set the lathe into(came off of a gas island mount stovetop) and I have purchased a splash shield on EBay that was actually for an HF 7x12,but fits fine.

Now I need to get a gorilla to get it into place. I have a friend coming to help next week...I hope.

Do you have a link for the splash shield? I need to get one for mine...

Back