HF 8x12 just arrived

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
I am replacing an 1885 Barnes 9x25 with the HF 8x12 for my gunsmithing bench.

I would like to find out what others have done to the HF to improve it or accessorize it.

Wow man, when you said 1885 Barnes Lathe, I thought you meant a model number. Looks like you were talking about the year???!!!

Bernie

Search this forum for Tile of "HF 8x12 Lathe" and those are my threads with lots of help from others

Wow man, when you said 1885 Barnes Lathe, I thought you meant a model number. Looks like you were talking about the year???!!!

Bernie

Yes, thats the year. The model is #41/2 which references the distance from spindle center to bed. I need to sell it if anyone is interested.

Its a great OLD lathe and I have been turning barrels on it. But its too big for the bench so I bought the HF 8x12 which will fit the bench better and with a 3/4" spindle bore I can still turn barrels on it.

I didnt ask in my original post, but I have another question on the 8x12. It is 256 pounds and I am 77 years old and 190 pounds. So it out weighs me. It is sitting in the driveway and I need to get it into the shop and up on the bench. So I am wondering if there is a way to break it into three pieces so I get it below 100 pounds each piece. I know I can remove the Tailstock and maybe the saddle. But can I remove the head stock and or motor.?

You'll find with barrel work your limited to mainly sporter weight barrels. I just chambered and rebarrelled a 98 Mauser with a Remington 18 inch barrel. Barrel length was just barely long enough to recrown it. I build and inboard and outboard spider for barrel work. I also reamed the spindle as much as I could, I believe it's now .820 inches. A QCTP is the next upgrade I made and I thought it wouldn't be that much better, but i like it a lot. Threading speed on the lathe was originally about 125 rpm's, I made a pulley reduction to get it down to around 40 and that helped a lot when threading up to a shoulder.

Bob

You'll find with barrel work your limited to mainly sporter weight barrels. I just chambered and rebarrelled a 98 Mauser with a Remington 18 inch barrel. Barrel length was just barely long enough to recrown it. I build and inboard and outboard spider for barrel work. I also reamed the spindle as much as I could, I believe it's now .820 inches. A QCTP is the next upgrade I made and I thought it wouldn't be that much better, but i like it a lot. Threading speed on the lathe was originally about 125 rpm's, I made a pulley reduction to get it down to around 40 and that helped a lot when threading up to a shoulder.

Bob

Do you have any notes on the spider, pictures, drawings???

I originally found it on another website. A retired gunsmith had built it. When I get a little time I'll find the pictures of it. He didn't have any measurement, so I had to figure it out as I went.

bob

I originally found it on another website. A retired gunsmith had built it. When I get a little time I'll find the pictures of it. He didn't have any measurement, so I had to figure it out as I went.

bob

Thanks, I am looking forward to it.

When you get the 8X unpacked clean all of the cosmoline off of it and re-adjust all the gibs and lead screw. Pay particular attention to the bearing run in procedure and err to the longer side time wise. Once you do that you will have a pretty good little lathe that is actually capable of doing an amazing amount of work. Ream the through hole and get a QCTP and your in business. I absolutely love my little 7X10 because it can do large enough and small items rather nicely. Above all enjoy the new lathe every chance you get.

Bob

Back