HF 6 x 9 belt/disc sander info needed

Halligan142

Active User
Registered
So I'm looking to pick up a belt sander. I've been surviving with my little handheld held upside down in a vice. Time to upgrade. I've been checking Craigslist for the past month to no avail of one in my price point. Anyway I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. This one from hf http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-48-inch-belt-and-9-inch-disc-combination-sander-6852.html. And this one from porter cable http://www.lowes.com/pd_91036-46069...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= Now with the 20% discount they both come to about the same price. I'm going to be using it for wood , softer metals. Maybe the occasional has bit. Sanding resin castings. It is home shop use and will probably see weekly use totaling a couple hours a week. I would normally grap the porter cable one but seems these both are made in china and i heard porter cable got bought by black and decker which i never likes. The porter cable one is direct drive with a belt drivin dust fan. Both disc and belt have dedicated tables. I played with it in store and the rotation of everything seems really smooth. Cons are the tables are a bit rough and there are some plastic guards and I don't like the screws holding the table and its not as big as the hf one. The hf one is bigger and is heavier. It doesn't feel as smooth as the pc one and it is belt driven and I think a little slower. There is only one table and it feels rougher than the pc one and it has ridges instead pf being flat that must be moved from the belt to disc and vice versa and the stand looks pretty useless. Anyone have any experience with either of these? The reviews I've found are pretty much even on each unit. Any help is appreciated.

P S. I know black and decker owns dewalt too. I don't like those either I prefer Milwaukee

Last edited:
I have had the H.F. one for around 3 years and I'm very happy with mine, It hets used 2 or 3 times a week.

I don't think I like the looks of the one at Lowes.

Paul

Several years ago I used a 20% off coupon to get the HF sander. Brought it home and started to put it together. Was unimpressed with the fit of the stand ... i.e. the holes did not line up. Took it back and picked up a Delta for not a lot more money. Was much more impressed with the Delta fit and finish and have enjoyed it ever since.

Note that I have lots of HF tools and this was one of the few that disappointed me.

Arvid

Be careful when using a stationary belt sander for both wood and metal. There have been reports of fires starting in trapped sawdust within the machine's base, ignited by sparks when sanding steel. Even in sanders which have been recently cleaned. Just a friendly heads up.

Tom

I personally would recommend the Harbor Freight model over the Porter Cable. The delta sanders our my personal favorites and I have an old one that I'm in the process of restoring, yes they are expensive but will probably out last you or me. My two cents worth and good luck with your choice.

Back