Hf 4 1/2" Band Saw

dlane

Active User
Registered
was given a HF band saw with a blown motor , and a old craftsman planer with a good motor.
I put the planer motor "Westinghouse " on the band saw and went thru the cheesy thing to get the blade to track better " took some doing " tightened everything up , adj wheels , and a mod , still cheesy but much better. I have a rong fu that is similar but much better made prob have half million miles on it still good .
Here is the mod it holds the saw up to change stock but not all the way up, I used the 1/4 hole for the leg
With a longer bolt , it swings down when head is lifted , also a alu table for vert use.

image.jpg image.jpg Might last a couple miles but I doubt it , but the price was ok but he should of payed me to haul it off.
Poor two year old kid that made it
Derrick

Last edited:
Looks like a good modification. I just got done repairing a Dayton-Tradesman band saw. I think it come out of the same factory that Harbor freight uses. Looks identical including the color. Can't complain it on;y cost me $25 at a garage sale. It needed some repairs done because it looked like it was tipped over in it's past life.

I would not complain, at least you have something to start off with, I would love to get something like that that I could work on and customize to the way I want it. Put on some of the stuff that people on this site have done to them and you will have one heck of a band saw. may not be real powerful, or large but it will do a good job is set up properly. Or at least that is what people say.

I'm not complaining the price was rite, especially with a good old US made motor . I'ts just for what it cost to make this
It could of been made a lot better quality for same cost, I guess they expect to get it back as scrap metal after a couple years.

Must have been a reason for you to buy it? Was to fix up and use or resell ? If you don't like it it's yours now, sell and try to get a top shelf saw for the same money not likely but some guys are lucky that way. Everyone knows what to expect from HF , usable but not high quality . I have some tools that I got there over twenty years ago they work well and for what I payed it's been a great investment. Air tools are what I've been using, plus the cheap step drills by master. Lots of sockets.

I'll make it rite , for what it is, I got it because the price was rite ( free) the guy said he had it for 15 yrs, he was cleaning out garage, it looks hardly used. I got it working pretty good, cutting straight. It's a back up in case my wrong fu quits. I'll prob take the legs off and add small casters to stash it under something else . Rong fu is on shopping cart base , the lower they are the better for cutting long stock with blocks or something same height as vice bed.

Last edited:
Back