Hey Heliyardsale, how's the new mill?

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
I was thinking we'd see the first cut on that new mill by now - you lagging? No, just joking. I was thinking about resources that might help you and thought I'd send a link that might help guide you when making cuts: http://www.niagaracutter.com/techinfo/

Go to the Speeds and Feed section and look at the listings for the common materials we use. It will tell you how deep a peripheral or slotting cut you can take with a given end mill, speed, and feed. The thing we small mill owners tend to do is take tiny, tiny cuts because we think our mills can't handle a "real" cut. It turns out that the Sherline mill can do a whole lot more than you might think. It isn't the rigidity of the machine as much as it is the rigidity of the end mill itself for cutters 3/8" and under and I think you might find that your little machine is capable of doing some serious work. The key limitation of the Sherline lathe is it's top speed of only 3200 RPM. Fortunately, that DC motor provides some serious torque at lower speeds and that is what we need for end mill work in harder stuff. Just be sure you have a solid end mill holder.

Speaking of end mill holders, if you are using the Sherline end mill holder then I suggest you consider drilling and tapping an extra set screw just above the existing one. Nasty things happen if an end mill slips under load and two screws on a Weldon flat are better than one. An ER32 collet is even better.

Anyway, have a look. I printed all the sheets for the materials I work with and refer to them every time I use an end mill.

Mikey

Hey Mikey!
Don't laugh, it's still sitting in the box! I have been buying a bunch of tooling and tools so once I get some spare time I will be ready to go! Thanks for all the advise and links, it is a big help!
uty9abuz.jpg
vejyrubu.jpg

uty9abuz.jpg

vejyrubu.jpg

uty9abuz.jpg

vejyrubu.jpg

Sorry, but I was sick as a dog for several weeks. Still feel like crap but I suspect I'll live now.

Wow, you've been on a spree! Hope you enjoy your new machine, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Mikey

Mikey,
Side tracked again! Still sitting in box!
Just loaded this new toy!
y6yvy4a7.jpg

I'm hoping to setup the mill this coming weekend and try it out! Needed to get some landscaping done around our 10 acres so I sprung for a new 2012 leftover Kubota.

Holy Smokes! You don't fool around when you buy tools, do you? Then again, if I had 10 acres I would probably need something bigger than a lawnmower, too. Very cool, Sir!

I've been saving my pennies up for this one. I'm tired of digging stuff up by hand... This should help free up time for playing with the new mill!

Heli,
You are a man after my own heart. My little Yanmar is good enough for my 5 acres, but it just has a bush hog and tiller. No blade or hydraulic accessories. You are gonna love that Kubota you will be looking for stuff to do soon. Good luck and hope you get a ton of great use and fun with your new tractor.

Bob

I haven't got down to the new mill yet, but just had to give you a huge thumbs up for the Kubota. We took delivery on a 10 year old 3410 kubota with only 200 hours on it this past spring. It's a lifesaver for our abode. Sadly, we were not able to get a Kubota backhoe because they no longer make the appropriate subframe, but got an aftermarket one that needs a little modification, which if everything goes right will be a successful rationale for a large mill and lathe.

Just in case you haven't run across it, here is a pretty good website for the orange tractor persuasion:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/

Back to the shop,
Tom

no wait, I'm gonna go look at the mill first!

Last edited:
Getting her dirty!
ramaby7e.jpg

Barely fits in the shop!

4u3yrygu.jpg

If you are wondering, the machine shop is in the room behind the Frig!

You seem to need a few more bikes there, Bud - I can see some space left over in that end of the garage!

Back