Hey All.......new Here....1st Lathe Coming...

Welcome to the club Paxx. I seriously need to see pics when you get to post some of your lathe. I've got a PM 1030V myself. I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet but hearing what you have on the way sure has me drooling. Lol But you are definitely in the right place for good honest friendly advice. As I have found here this place is perfect for a complete beginner like myself.

Man........Thanks!!!!! Do I ever need that advice!!!!! I am accused all the time of being too much of a perfectionist.......No don't get me wrong, I'm not really a craftsman because it usually takes me quite a few times to get things as I think they should be. My sons and my boss are always telling me "It's good enough!!" It's something I'm working on..........really!! :) Maybe this new hobby/obsession will help with it!!!!

It won't!
When you are working for an employer or customer to a deadline, the economics of 'good enough' can be important.
But when it is a hobby and you just want to feel good about the results, why compromise 'perfect' for 'good enough'?
I have done enough stuff over the years to 'get it done'. Now I want to do the best work I possibly can and it feels so much better.
As one of my psychologist friends told me, its OK to be obsessive as long as you are aware of it.
The world of self fulfillment is just as real as any other.

Paxx, congratulations on the new tool. That is always exciting.
Feel free to ask anything here. You will NOT be slammed for asking noob questions.
-brino

Wow......thanks for the all the welcome and encouragement here!!!! I had to laugh at "As one of my psychologist friends told me, its OK to be obsessive as long as you are aware of it." I love it!!!! the other thing I'm aware of is I am truly a bit A.D.H.D. and as a result have done soooooo many things in my life. Always learning and doing new stuff with that obsessive nature that seems to drive me. Gotta get me one of these......!!
ADHD%20highway%20to%20hey%20look%20a%20squirrel%3F.png

Now, my lathe update...........Deal is done. But as I get ready to go the 2.5 hrs to pick it up my truck's rear axle has a bearing and seal blow up on me!!!! Arg!!!! Will definitely post picks when I finally get her home!!

Stick by me kid! I'll teach you "real-world" engineering!

As my son told me the other day, don't let perfect get in the way of good enough. Most of what i make is made-to-fit LOL

When I was surveying the motto was "near enough is not good enough, but perfect is near enough"

pete

Welcome from another Albertan still in learning mode. What type of projects you got planned? Hope the truck has short down time.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

When I was surveying the motto was "near enough is not good enough, but perfect is near enough"

pete
That's great Pete!!! That was always the way I was taught by my dad!!

Welcome from another Albertan still in learning mode. What type of projects you got planned? Hope the truck has short down time.
Jack

Jack.....thanks!!!! I've been through Mannville a time or two. Actually played a couple of gigs in Vermillion a couple years in a row....Anyway......looks like my 1st project is gonna be a quick job for a coworker who needs has a fitting for his skid steer that needs to have the ID enlarged a little. Told me today he was gonna take it to a machinist somewhere, but now will wait for me to have a look at it. Other than that, I'm gonna just make some fun stuff to reacquaint myself with a lathe and have some cool things to show for it. Things like a Turner's cube, a Bolt pen, a captured ring on a barbell and so on. If you have some fun ideas of projects I'd love to hear them.

Got parts coming for the truck. It's one of those things that I can't bring myself to take a vehicle to a mechanic. I've done 99% of my own repairs/maintenance and so I've got parts coming and will get it back on the road as soon as they get here.

Thanks for the welcome. This seems a very friendly place.

Paxx

I have plans to make many things. Some including gyroscope, hammers, yoyo, captive nut on threaded barbell, pens, spinning top, light saber, piston / bullet key chains / magnets, stirling, steam, ic engines and model locomotives. Might try a clock or two, pocket watch not sure yet. Plus any repairs and other projects not known yet.
I can say the same about taking vehicles to shop for repair.
Jack

Now, my lathe update...........Deal is done. But as I get ready to go the 2.5 hrs to pick it up my truck's rear axle has a bearing and seal blow up on me!!!! Arg!!!! Will definitely post picks when I finally get her home!!

Sorry for your truck luck. Still looking forward to seeing your Standard Modern 11x20

Sorry for your truck luck. Still looking forward to seeing your Standard Modern 11x20
Thanks.........last parts coming in for the truck this week. Not sure though when I'll be able to go get the lathe. I have a son that just came back from 3 years in Madrid with his very lovely and sweet spanish fiancé and have a tonne of things needing done as they start the process of a permanent residency application for her.........the first being a wedding!! We will see, but I assume I won't find the time to get to pick up the lathe till after the wedding that is at the end of the 1st week of May. We shall see.......

I will post picks when I get it here though!!

Paxx

Back