Hey All.......new Here....1st Lathe Coming...

Paxx

Registered
Registered
Hey, as the title says, I'm an almost new lathe owner. I'm an almost 57 yr old maker and tinkerer of 50 of those years. Although my shop has seen and holds a tonne of equipment I've yet to own a lathe. Well today I've arranged with a seller 2.5 hrs from where I live here in southern Alberta Canada to purchase a Standard Modern 11x20 tool room lathe that came out of a high school shop a few years ago. Will be picking it up end of the week. I'm pretty stoked!!

I've had a little of lathe experience over the years, but am very much a noob. Looking forward to learning a tonne here and when I finally make something worth posting I will do so.

Thanks to the mods for letting me be a part of this fantastic group.

Paxx
"If ya can't be good, Be good at it!!"

Welcome to the forum, Paxx, and congratulations on your new machine! The rule here is "no pics, it didn't happen..." 8^)

(You will need more posts before you will be allowed to post pics...)

Welcome to the forum, Paxx, and congratulations on your new machine! The rule here is "no pics, it didn't happen..." 8^)

(You will need more posts before you will be allowed to post pics...)

Thanks for the welcome Bob......pics will come when I get her home and when I've enough posts to be able to put some photos up!!

Welcome from another noob. I recently got my first lathe and I know nothing but I do understand the stoked feeling.

Quick like a Bunny, buy a copy of "How to Run a Lathe" By South Bend Lathe Works.

Trust me, buy it!

Hillbilly........ And a welcome to you from this noob too!!!! It's gonna be an awesome ride!!!

P T Schram......... Already have copies of South Bend's awesome manual as well as Atlas's Manual of Operations........ Both very good reading with a tonne of info!!!! Thanks for great advice!!!

Last edited:
Stick by me kid! I'll teach you "real-world" engineering!

As my son told me the other day, don't let perfect get in the way of good enough. Most of what i make is made-to-fit LOL

Stick by me kid! I'll teach you "real-world" engineering!

As my son told me the other day, don't let perfect get in the way of good enough. Most of what i make is made-to-fit LOL

Man........Thanks!!!!! Do I ever need that advice!!!!! I am accused all the time of being too much of a perfectionist.......No don't get me wrong, I'm not really a craftsman because it usually takes me quite a few times to get things as I think they should be. My sons and my boss are always telling me "It's good enough!!" It's something I'm working on..........really!! :) Maybe this new hobby/obsession will help with it!!!!

As an engineer managing other engineers, one of my greatest challenges was getting them to accept good enough. Best is the enemy of good enough, I would tell them. That doesn't mean that shoddy is good enough; it's very important to correctly identify how good something needs to be, including a margin to account for variables, and the means to rectify issues when the inevitable mistake happens that drives quality too low.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Back