Hex bit adapters, about the making of

joe350r2

Registered
Registered
I find myself in need of making some short pieces of hex stock that are 0.625" on one side and 0.500", 0.590" and 0.472" to make 3 adapters. Buying 5/8" 4140 hex stock is a given.
I would like some reassurance on the method I think I'm going to go about the machining. Which is clamp it down to the table with a feather to get it approximately square to the table, touch off the top and take off half of what I need to end up at the reduced sizes gives. IE for the. 500 reducer I'll need to take 0.0625" each side. Indexing it after each cut. Or is there a better way?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hex stock, hex collet, and hex collet block. Or round stock and collet and hex collet block, cut the hex first. Take half off each side if you want it symmetrical.

Sounds like you are on the right path. I'd prolly bolt a 1-2-3 block to the table as a fence, add a stop, and just mill like you described.
If I was in a lazy mood, I would probably clamp them in my vise using set up clamps to hold them flat, and lightly snug the moving jaw to make it square.
Now that I think about it, using the vise is probably the best and fastest method.

Might want to consider using a corning rounding bit so you don't have a stress riser in the corner if they are going to be stressed. Since you are not taking much off, you could grind a fly cutter to do it. just make the grind so it has a vertical cutting edge, and a small radius.

upload_2017-5-29_20-36-27.png:laughing: It is a piece of stock that fits in the slot of your mill table and pultrudes up like a fence to register parts against.

upload_2017-5-29_20-35-56.png

Back