Heres my new lathe

Ok guys well as soon as I get it up and running Ill post some pics, of what I dont know, :lmao: Im sure it will be bad, but I gota start somewhare !

Thanks Guys!

There is a copy of "Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables" by Engineering Department, Atlas Press Company, 1822 North Pilcher St., Kalamazoo, Michigan U.S.A.. on a shelf above my Clausing 100 MKIII, I believe this manual is similar to the Southbend publication. It gets used quite often and is an exceptional reference. I have a shop text book that I also rely on "Machineshop Operations and Setups" 4th edition. Authors are Lascoe, Nelson and Porter printed by American Technical Society, Chicago 60637. It also gets frequent use. I have found good information in the "Workshop Practice Seies" Special Interest Model Books, P. O. Box 327, Poo;e, Dorset. BH15 2RG England, try Amozon.com. There is an overwhelming amount of information available just study it and make your choice.

You have a tool holder on your lathe that has a High Speed Cutting bit in it. There are numerous shapes for various applications, once the bit is sharp (use a grinder with a fine wheel - heep it cool) place it at the mid point of the work piece your are going to cut. Sharp means it can scratch or cut you if not handled carefully. Rigidity in the mounting set up is important as well, keeping the cutting action close to the tool holder support should help the quality of the work. Before turning the power on turning the workpiece a full turn or two by hand is a good safety practice.

Other than references to books I have not said anything different than the contributions in the other threads, just be safe when trying something new. I prefer light cuts and slow feeds in new situations.

Have a good day and enjoy your hobby.

Ray

As I stated in the newbe section, Ive never used one of these, meaning a tool to cut metal, unless you call my small drill press a metal cutting tool. Any way my friends that have lathe, real big things that are 3 phase machines, said that I need to keep my eye open for a small lathe. Ive been to auctions over the years, see how long Ive been looking for a deal, but stuff was always out of reach for me. One day I came home and saw an add on CL for this, 50 bucks, I went and got it.

Now its up to you all to help me out on using this. This is the only tool I have for it, the cover is missing and people give me mixed ideas on needing change gears. Im still making room in the shop for it, have a place that I want to put it, but theres an eng there right now waiting on a part to install in a garden tractor. Im hoping by Thanksgiving I will have it mounted and running.

Can someone please tell me what tool I ave and what it is used for. Also I know I cant make my own tooling from blanks, but is there something I can but cheap, like under 100 bucks to start to learn with. Im thinking Im going to break something, well I have visions of it any way. Ive been watching a lot of Tubal Cain vidios on you tube for the basics. Many are over my head but something like the facing vid Ill watch a few times a week to get it in my head.

Thanks Vince

You must be talking about the rocker tool post, right?

Nowadays, the quick change toolpost is better, but the rockers have their place, also. In some situations, only a rocker will fit.

I learned my trade using the old rocker tool holders. (Most were made by Armstrong). Had to learn all the angles quickly. Knowing those grinding angles, actually got me a few jobs when I was starting out. Just like grinding drill bits by eye.

Lots of info Online about the angles necessary, and I haven't seen any bad advice yet.

BTW, you should feel very guilty about the theft of that machine!

Something else, just go slow till you get the "Machinists Feel".
I've had tons of compliments from the fairer race all these years, because I developed that feel at an early age.:thinking::lmao:

I thought about putting a piece of PVC in first to see what it fealt like.

I thought about putting a piece of PVC in first to see what it fealt like.

Use thick wall, like schedule 40 or higher, and keep it fairly short to minimise flex. You could also use wax, as in a candle.

M

I wouldn't screw around with that style of toolpost and grinding your own bits. With the deal of the year you got on the lathe, take some of that saved up money, go to the Little Machine Shop and get a Quick Change toolpost, Holders, and all of the accessories you need to go with the lathe. I guarantee you be farther ahead and way happier. Here is the link to what you need: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3786

480.3527.jpg

480.3527.jpg

That's a great package deal. You won't find it cheaper anywhere.;)

+1 on the LMS kit. But the QCTP for a Chinese 9x20.
They make one specifically for your lathe, which may or may not be the same.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2486&category=-419988835
Probably the tee-nut that fits the compound is the difference.
call or email Chris wood at LMS and he will get you fixed up.
This is the main thing you need, and you can buy the QCTP kit for $100 from a number of places. Tools4cheap.com had some 2nds for half that, which is what I bought.
2nd is the tailstock drill chuck, with MT2 taper on the arbor.
These are the thing you will use 90% of the time.

Later on you will want a set of change gears for $100, maybe less.
Also the boring bar set, and a steady rest.

What you have is an Atlas 618 Mk2.
The color is very close to Ford Dark Blue engine paint, available at your FLAPS

As for the cover, there are a lot more of those lathes than there are covers for them. I think i would fashion one from aluminum sheet. They only had 2 attachment points.
I have some pics of those at home

Also, you can get a PDF of the factory manual for that lathe in the files section of the Yahoo group for Atlas lathes.
Or email me and I'll send it to you.

Nice lathe at a great deal, bordering on larceny. enjoy :)

Back