Hercus 260 (south Bend Gs26-075)

I might add that the adapter is only 3" long so the smaller end is just too large to fit.

20170329_201703_zpscyzce79i.jpg

20170329_201452_zpsxnkgp2lr.jpg

20170329_201333_zpsczclwqjw.jpg

Any ideas what do I do now?

Last edited:
So I went to a SouthBend Yahoo group and did some searching after rereading some of my posts and responses from helpful blokes and found this...

tooling_dimensions_sb_7324_zps5j0542rp.jpg

20170331_102802_zpsgrsixq4j.jpg

here's a link
https://xa.yimg.com/df/SOUTHBENDLAT...CAx4MRm3h16egPJvwajxQnLOuujAf-t&type=download

So although my lathe has a bigger spindle bore, and a 13 1/4" spindle length the nose cone may accept an adapter that has the dimensions listed in the tooling sheet. a slope of .602

The .602" slope or taper per foot is almost a Jarno taper. But Jarno tapers are all .600" T.P.F. interested. I have a adapter here I bought for my Sheldon lathe thinking it would work. Fiddling with it the other day I notice it wiggles a little bit at the big end. Now after seeing this, I know now its for a South Bend lathe, not a Sheldon. I may set up on my T & G and re grind the taper to match that in my Sheldon lathe.

Boris,
Sorry been away at work,so I havent been checking online for awhile THAT adapter you have is wrong I do not know what that is BUT it is not the same as mine,here is some pics,1st is the small end ,2nd is the small end measurement,then 3rd is the large end measurement,then last with the MT 2 dead center installed.

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

4gsr,
Whatever you have is not for a South Bend lathe,I'd say it's what they(who ever sold it to you) said it is.South Bend would've never used a Jarno taper in any lathe spindle.They used Morse tapers,and since Hercus is a DIRECT copy,they used Morse tapers too.Sorry I'm late to this thread.

I don't think I have seen any D1-4 spindle with anything but a MT 5 taper. The MT 5 to MT 3 adapter extends out from the spindle half an inch (12-13 mm) or so on mine.

Hi Mickey & Bob,

The adapter you see in the pictures above is a MT5. Doesn't fit my spindle even though its a D 1-4 . Anyway, the toolmakers at my college ground the adapter to the .602 slope with the correct dimensions. Fits perfectly.

Mickey, do you have the exact specs for your lathe?

I wonder what your manual specs say about the internal taper of the spindle...

Oh BTW thanks for your replies, I appreciate any help.

Back