Hercus 260 (south Bend Gs26-075)

Boris Ludwig

Registered
Registered
This is my first post here, I live in Sydney Australia and I've recently become a Hercus 260 (Southbend SG26-075) owner.

It appears my machine is a South bend badged as a Hercus 260. Hercus originally made it for the American market for South bend. So there are some features I'm not sure about. As far as I can tell from recent conversations with many Hercus owners in Australia so far it's the only one in Australia.

Anyway, my experience is very limited to making reel seats on my cane fly rods at work where a Hercus lathe has been available to me.

My immediate goal is to set up the gear correctly. Then learn basic machining so I can make some basic nickel silver hardware for my rods.

Long term perhaps I'd like to learn how to make a fly reel to add to my rods.
I look forward to learning as much as I can.

Here are a few pics.

20161028_123414%201_zps7iyc1iog.jpg

20161028_123401_zpsrttylxwa.jpg

20151119_094810_zpsve447wkg.jpg

Welcome! Nice lathe. What is the spindle. Looks like a collet chuck on there?
Robert

Thanks for the welcome Robert.

Actually, it's the spindle nose, a D1-4.

I have only seen two Hercus 9" lathes, and they are nearly identical copies of the South Bend 9" lathe. Except better. At least that is what their owners said, and from what I saw, I think I believe them... Your lathe looks newer and updated compared to the ones I saw, with the D1 series spindle and the more squared off lines. If 260 is the swing, that would be around 9-10 inches.

My SB has a D1-3. I think the D1-4 will be better.
R

Hi Bob, after talking to Hercus, it Appears My lathe was one of the Last assembled, in 2000. In fact, its thought it was assembled from part inventory to clear remaing stock, hence it was badged hercus 260 as it was never going to the US.

Hi Boris

That is a neat lathe . I like your cane fly rods . I was a fly fisher years ago and wanted to make a split cane rod , I had a book but where to get the proper cane ? . I was in Tasmania in 1975 , lived in a old house on the Liffey river . One day who should turn up - David Scholes and his wife . David was a very friendly guy and he signed the books I had there by the riverside. He had the latest carbon fibre rod and a Martin reel , he used cane rods back in the 1930's of course and the silk lines . I was invited to his house for a visit . He scared the daylights out of me - he gave me a lift in his Citroen car and he drove like a madman ... we almost hit a mob of sheep . Maybe he thought he was back flying a Lancaster bomber in WW2 .

Regards Mike

Hi Mike, that's quite a story about David Scholes. I never had the privilege to meet him but he was a giant in the fly community in Australia.

Unusual what one can find on forums. Thanks for your post.

Best regards

BTW nice aussie phrase "mob of sheep"

Update on my lathe.

I have decided to change the vee belts.
For a couple of reasons. They are worn with the odd nick and the spindle belt is the wrong one, too long. This makes the counter shaft lay too far back and the drive belt rubs on the gear train back cover.

Any ideas?

20161028_123010_zpsgcgxkin8.jpg

If I tap the spindle rear end with a mallet and wood I can probably get it out but to put the rear bearing back on the spindle looks more tricky.

Tried that but it will not move. I'll have to make a spindle puller.

Resized_rear_bearing_cone_pulled_into_place_zpsgiwyprho.jpe

G'Day Boris!
i own a Hercus ARH 9" lathe and think is is the best lil lathe i have ever laid hands on!
the 260 looks a lot like a typical Asian 1024 design, but undoubtedly superior if it came out of a Hercus factory.
the helical gearing is not only stronger than straight spur gearing, but it also has the added bonus of running quietly in backgear.
you have a capable machine tool that you should be proud to own!
all the best
mike:)

Last edited:
Back