[Lathe] Hendey or Pratt & Whitney Lathe?

Michaeljp86

Active User
Registered
So I came across another lathe, its a Pratt & Whitney 16". I dont know much about it other then that and its supposed to work. The Hendey was my first and only lathe Ive ever had or used. Its a 14" swing and seems to get the job done. I dont have room for both lathes so one will have to go.

Some differences are the hendey has a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, a taper attachment, and Im used to it.

The Pratt & Whitney is bigger which I like and can cut up to 88TPI where the hendy can do 80 but I doubt I would ever use that.

One thing I dont like about the Hendey is its under powered and wont run in the cold. I have to put a lamp on the gear box to warm up the oil.

I dont know much of anything on the Pratt & Whitney other then Ive read they are very slow.

So if you had to pick one which one would it be?

hendy lathe.jpg Pratt & Whitney lathe.JPG

Were it me I would stay with what I know and fix the obvious issues. The underpowered motor and not running in the cold is a simple enough fix - add an oil heater (think block heater for a car) to the headstock - they make magnetic ones that will work on any flat surface. Also, how old and nasty is the oil? Might be time for a change?

TBH, 2 inches of swing is not going to kill you not having it.

Last edited:
Both are good lathes, I think if it's in your shop why not try it out before ruling one or the other. Pratt and Whitney are really super if it's not abused . Don't know if I could choose easily.

The Pratt & Whitney does look more robust. Tough call. I think over all condition would be the deciding factor. Mike

Back