Help with Valenite carbide inserts

nicholas

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

My name is Nick, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to machining. I've taken a machining class at the local community college, and been puttering around in my garage shop in my free time over the past few years. I've learned a lot, and have a lot of learning ahead of me.

I was given some Valenite carbide insert lathe tools, and I'm having a heck of a time working out what type of inserts these take. I've tried googling the information printed on the holders without any luck.

From what I've read online, I'll need to make sure that the inserts are the correct shape, size, thickness and mounting hole configuration.

I'd like to be able to use these holders, any help on where to find information on these or decode the part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Info off the tool holders:
Turning tool PTANR-08-2.5U 8T5
Small turning tool PTANR-06-2U 5T5
Threading tool SD-TMR-8-3 2T9
Boring tool BHp-EC-612 2T5

They are all ancient part numbers from the 1960's-1970's. You not going to find much information on them, unless you find someone with a old catalog.
I can tell you what I know about them.
First two are turning tools for negative rake triangle inserts for 0 degree or 90 degree feed angle. Kinda like a AR or AL brazed carbide turning tool, but for replaceable inserts. The -06, and -08 is the shank size, I'm guessing 3/8 sq and 1/2 square shank. The 2.5 is the insert size, in this case 1/4" IC. (I used to have some tool holders very similar to these numbers. The only reason I never used them, I couldn't find any 1/4" IC triangle negative rake inserts).
The third holder is for threading or grooving. It uses a 3/8 IC triangle TNMA 32 insert on edge. These are readily available. Again, the -8 is the shank size= 1/2" square.
The boring tool, I'll have to think about this one, there's nothing the part number I recognize. Sorry I can't help you on this one.

Ken

Thanks Ken!

That helps me quite a bit. I can get the threading tool up and running with that info. Flustered

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but on the negative rake turning tools, what in particular about the inserts makes them suitable for negative rake? Front relief angle? To put it another way, would something like a TCMT21 work? (Such as MSC part 4165822) Or would the tip be too weak with a 7 degree relief angle + the angle the tool holder is adding?

The tool holder is at a double negative rake. Side rake is 5 deg negative, front rake is a negative 5 degree. All your doing with that TCMT insert is heading for a train wreck. It' won't work. Or let me say, you will have too much side and front clearance and no top rake using that insert. You can try it, but I think you will find out real fast how bad it will cut. The edge will probably snap off at any amount of depth of cut and feed rate. Your side rake and front clearance will be 7 degree plus 5 degree for a total of 12 degrees. That's too much clearance. But again, it's the top back rake you need for a positive rake insert.

I have some old valenite milling cutters that used the 2.5 triangle inserts, which are 5/16 IC. These are ittle bit hard to buy today, as not many made that I can find. Valenite used a lot of 2.5 inserts, and you still find them on ebay for decent prices sometimes. I have bought a couple dozen inserts so I have a long time supply.

Hello all,

My name is Nick, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to machining. I've taken a machining class at the local community college, and been puttering around in my garage shop in my free time over the past few years. I've learned a lot, and have a lot of learning ahead of me.

I was given some Valenite carbide insert lathe tools, and I'm having a heck of a time working out what type of inserts these take. I've tried googling the information printed on the holders without any luck.

From what I've read online, I'll need to make sure that the inserts are the correct shape, size, thickness and mounting hole configuration.

I'd like to be able to use these holders, any help on where to find information on these or decode the part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Info off the tool holders:
Turning tool PTANR-08-2.5U 8T5
Small turning tool PTANR-06-2U 5T5
Threading tool SD-TMR-8-3 2T9
Boring tool BHp-EC-612 2T5

Can you post a photo of the tools? If you have an insert, that may help, too. I looked up the number that Ken mentioned on eBay to see what they look like, and I may have some inserts like that from a lot I bought last Spring. Are they the triangle inserts that stand up on their side rather than lay flat? If so, I don't have any tool holders for that style insert. Maybe we can horse trade some carbide. :grin:

GG

these are some of the inserts that I bought on flea bay:

tnea2.522 inserts

they do get used in my Valenite Mini-mills on edge, but for the lathe holder they would lay down. Here is a link to the mini-mills - I have had them for 20 years and love them, especially the triangle ones (side and bottom cutting in 1" and 1-1/2 sizes each) and the round ones (1" and 1-1/2 sizes). My dad had the sqaure ones (1" and 1-1/2 sizes) so I have those as well. Cut tons of material with them, especially D2, M2 and CPM-10V without obvious wear to cutter body. I generally took .100 deep cut in a Bridgport, but reduce that to .050 on my 8x32 knee mill at home. Even made a 3/4 and 5/8 diamter cutter in same stayle for narrower slots.

mini-mills

OK, I was picturing them as a different style. This is what I was thinking of. I have about a dozen boxes of Valenite carbide, but none of them look like that.

GG

20171127_201547.jpg

20171127_201608.jpg

Back