Help With this Toolholder

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Do these lock pins just screw apart? Mine must be on super tight because I can not budge it and don't want to break an allen key.Capture2.PNG

Put the Allen wrench in the bottom. The screw is more 'protected' there.

I should've have clarified. I want to move the one pin to the other. I got the insert out but want to get the shim and pin out and move to the other holder.

The center screw holds the anvil and pushes the insert into the seat.

As far as my experience with Kennametal, all of the mounting screws have hex sockets on both ends, put another hex key through the hole provided on the bottom and use both to loosen it.
This often works a charm, if you bought these tools used from a working shop then all bets are off.

thumbnail_IMG_20170519_081741716.jpg These are kennametal dcknr-205d ins cn-54 holders. The d means a kenclamp system but it does not look like that to me in the drawing. It looks like a Kenloc to me.
Page #4.
https://www.kennametal.com/content/dam/kennametal/kennametal/common/Resources/Catalogs-Literature/Metalworking/Master Catalog - Inch Sections/A-11-02679_MasterCat_stationary_toolholders_inch.pdf
I can not get them apart.
Are these clamp system interchangeable?
I need to find a new clamp as I'd to try out the holder but not sure now which to look for.

It just dawned on me, I bet whoever used it before loctited the clamp.

Another thing that is odd is that the screws are not torx head. Looks like they all are from Kennametal. Kenclamp has torx, Kenloc has a hex head. This is a Kenloc. Must be an old holder or something.

Update. I got it off. It has a light press fit but it is cracked. Searching for new one.

Last edited:
There's a eBay seller that sells replacement parts for most of the tool holders out there. Get the generic part number off of Kennametal's website and search eBay and see what you find. You can also Google other places selling parts, too. Ken

Edit: Yeah, Most people tighten the crap out of these camlock pins and clamps. They don't need to be that tight. Same for the clamp on top. Also, use a dab of Neverseigh on the pin and clamp screw to make things easier to get apart later.

View attachment 233690 These are kennametal dcknr-205d ins cn-54 holders. The d means a kenclamp system but it does not look like that to me in the drawing. It looks like a Kenloc to me.
Page #4.
https://www.kennametal.com/content/dam/kennametal/kennametal/common/Resources/Catalogs-Literature/Metalworking/Master Catalog - Inch Sections/A-11-02679_MasterCat_stationary_toolholders_inch.pdf

It just dawned on me, I bet whoever used it before loctited the clamp.

Not likely, no one in their right mind would use loctite on a clamp screw that may have to be removed several times per day, if you tried using 2 hex keys and still no joy then drill the head off which releases the clamping pressure.

Last ditch effort is to shatter the insert, this is easily done as the inserts are very brittle, wear safety glasses when doing so.

Last edited:
I was talking about the pin. I discovered it is one peice and pressed in. You may have missed it in my post as I skipped a few lines.

Back