Help with Shilen DGA 642

Rich,
No fire that I know of but our welding table was in the same corner of the shop.
The bay is less than a mile from here and we do get a lot of "Sea Fog".Besides down here in Florida with our humidity and low dew point rust is pretty agressive.
Not sure of the correct terminolgy but to me it looks like the breach block slides down and away from the breach. Using a jewlers loop I can see threads in the small hole in the bolt.
Guess I will have to get some evaporust and give it a soak. Too bad as I have a electrolysis rig set up all ready.
While doing some research on this gun I read tha DGA stands for Damm Good Acton.
Since that came off the internet I will take that with a grain of salt. :rofl:
Thanks for the input and I will take some pictures of the process and post them here.

************G****************

Gator

what you have is an old shilen dga action. The bolt should rotate cc and pull out to rear of action. Shilen rifles still makes actions, barrels, and complete rifles, but I don't know if they still do the dga. There should be a bolt handle in the slot on the right rear of the action, but it's gone. That's why I ask about fire. The bolt handles are usually silver soldered on, which may have gotten hot enough in a car/house fire to separate the handle from bolt body. Anywho, good luck.

Richard

Shilen hasn't made or supported the DGA for at least 30yrs. They have a new receiver and a new barreled action. The new one uses the Savage nut set up to change barrels, and a changeable bolt nose to allow you to fit barrels with different size brass. It is also set up to use a standard Remington type trigger.

Nope just put it back in the closet as other things more important jumped to the head of the line.
Damn shame though it looks like it was a class act in it's day.
*G*

Back