Help with Noga mount

KenS

Active User
Registered
I made a stud for the back of my dial indicator to mount it on my Noga mag base like the one Adam Booth (Abom79) uses on his YouTube channel.

The piece of 3/8-inch cold rolled stock I used for the stud is about two thousandths under size as shown on the mic in the accompanying photo. My problem is that I can't seem to figure out a way to clamp the stud in the end of the Noga holder. It looks like I may be missing a screw and nut in the Noga clamp, however this is the way it came. As it is, the stud is loose and the indicator will fall out of the Noga clamp.

Am I missing something obvious?

indicator_on_noga_backside.jpg dial_indicator_stud.jpg

The knurled screw should squeeze the split holder block to tighten. Your block looks like it is 90 degrees out in order for it to do that. Mine pivots on the knurled clamp and also tightens the indicator also.

Darrell

remove DTI, can you turn the black block 90 deg. move the thumb screw and put the 3/8" part of the DTI shaft in there & not use the back tab ?

Like Darrel said he's just faster at typing lol

Darrell and road,

Right on-- it was 90 degrees out. Thanks guys. Bought the mag base at a pawn shop for $30 (it also came with a brand new Mini-Mag stuck to it) and it was 90 degrees out when I got it. The pawn guys had no idea what it was.

Working perfectly now. Gotta love Noga.

Thanks again for the really quick response!

indicator_correct.jpg

As said, the clamp is installed wrong. It should look like this (although my DIs have dovetails, the clamp should be oriented the same).

EDIT: Ok, NM. :)

Img_0986.jpg

Img_0986.jpg

Will,

Thanks for the photo showing your dial indicator hanging from the dovetail. I'm used to seeing dial test indicators with dovetails, but not dial indicators.

Ken

p.s. Still using your 8x12 lathe mods for inspiration. Hope y0ur brother is enjoying it! Wish I had your skills.

IMG_0151.JPG These are a few Noga mounts that I have made. Got some offset ones, One with a stem and clamp from a starret setup (which is really versatile), and my favorite is the dovetail I made and screwed to the back of a Starrett indicator. I really like the style of the new Noga Top adjust holders. I swapped out the one on my Big Boy Noga with the one on My medium size Noga that I use everyday.

eightbtall,

Now you've gone ahead and got me inspired. Back to the lathe.

Ken

Back